Friday, August 11, 2006

Laundry Day

Laundry Day
Sometimes even in paradise, reality intrudes, as it did yesterday. The pile of laundry was getting to where it said "please do me today", so I loaded it into the car and started off to the laundromat. On the way there I happened to see the man with the gas cylinder truck at someone elses home down another street. We will need a propane tank for our stove and hot water heater and I haven't noticed him on our street in the last while. I stopped and explained what I wanted and he said he would follow me home right then. So, I turned around and went back home. He followed me, brought a tank and took it upstairs for us, got paid and went on his way. I then started back to the laundry, this time I got there. While waiting for my laundry to wash, I always go down the block and look at a used furniture place. We have bought a couple of things from this fellow, he is friendly and he practices his english and I practice my spanish. There were two other fellows in the store today and they had a good chuckle out of our strange, broken conversation. He was struggling with english and I was struggling with spanish, I'm sure that it was funny from the sidelines. He had a decent bedroom dresser with mirror so I looked, bartered and measured (always have a small tape measure in my bag). It was marked 1500 pesos; but after much laughter he told me " for you it is barato" (less,cheaper), ah...the equivalent of frequent flier points. He will usually come down a bit with his price. I told him that I had to go home and measure there to be sure it would fit. Returned to laundromat, read my book for a few minutes and the laundry was done. On the way home, I happened to see a cable man in his VW bug with the ladder on top. I stopped and asked him if he had an install disc with him, of course he didn't and told me I would have to go to the office to get one. I think that I explained our need for one in a previous post. Then a stop at the mini market store for some groceries. The little girl that usually packs the groceries was not there, so I inquired about her. Apparently she is on vacation with her mother to Colima and Manzanillo. Finally arrived home with the laundry and got it hung up to dry. Roy and I went upstairs to measure where the dresser would go and yes, lots of room. So back to the second hand man. After some more laughter and meeting his wife whom we had never seen in the store before, we closed the deal. They will keep it there until we are ready to move upstairs and then they will deliver it for us. Again, there were other customers sitting patiently waiting and smiling broadly at our strange repartee. His wife happens to speak english quite well and explained to the other customers what was going on. Several necessary things accomplished just by going to do a load of laundry.
I got the chicken ready to fry for supper, along with potatos and carrots and then relaxed for the afternoon. Spent some time visiting with Ciro, Luis and Alan while watching the sunset from upstairs. It's funny because we usually go up shortly after supper to sit and look at the view and usually Ciro comes up soon after. He likes the view and the breezes up there. Last night he took quite a while to come up and laughingly I told him that he was muy lento. He laughed and told me that Brittanys dad had come to pick her up and delayed him. Brittanys papa along with being employed full time by the electric company CFE is also a professional wrestler. We were going to go and watch him in a match in July; but he ended up not wrestling as he said they wouldn't pay him, no one would fight against him. Apparently he held the belt here for 6 yrs., until they took it away from him, the reason I couldn't figure out. Anyway, the other day Irene brought us a poster with another match scheduled for August 12 with him in it. It is a tag team match and when he came for his daughter he was telling us that he had trained several of the other wrestlers participating in the match. We are thinking that we may go and watch it on Saturday. He had brought some pictures over one night to show us, in one of the photos he was bleeding profusely from a cut above his eye. Yes, he said and showed us the scar. He is so tender and gentle with his daughter, hugs/ kisses for Irene and handshakes for everyone else everyday on arrival and departure, it is hard to picture him in the ring. In case anyone is interested his "stage" name is "Halcon Ninja". Ticket price is 40 pesos, around $4.00. This evening we may go to the Guaymas Norte Tianguis with the people that we met for breakfast in San Carlos on Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, folks,
I emailed you three times this week about Tianguis, and had no reply, I'm wondering if you're having the same trouble with Mega Red email as we did. Yesterday I was all set to go, but we had to stay here so we could finish punching a hole in the wall for an air conditioner, with the help of a contractor friend. I'm sorry we missed you.

Brenda Maas said...

Hi, I have received all of your emails(I think) and have replied to all of them. I just went into my "sent messages" folder and I have sent/replied to 9 emails between us. These are the ones that I saved, there may have been more. Are my emails perhaps going into your "junk mail" folder? I had mentioned to Roy that it seemed that you were asking questions that I had already answered previously; but thought perhaps that with being busy, you had misread some things. Do you have another email address that you use that I could reply to, as I seem to be receiving your mail.
I would check your "junk" folder and "trash" folder, as if you have not added me to your "safe" list that is where my mail will be.
Bye for now. Brenda