Deliveries
We had purchased a Spanish language learning course when we were back in Canada. Included in the course were 2 discs to load on the computer and 12 audio cds. The course is quite good and has helped me learn a lot (http://www.spanishprograms.com/about_spanish_course.htm), no, I am not on commision. A couple of weeks ago I received an email from the company saying that on 2 of the audio cds there was a glitch, where there was supposed to be a time frame for you to answer the question apparently there wasn't. I had not noticed this, as have been using the lessons loaded on the computer mostly. They informed me that they would ship out 2 new discs to replace the glitched ones. Yah right, I thought, like they are going to ship me (free of charge) two new discs to Mexico. I did reply to the email with my new address, not expecting any result. I then received an email saying that the delivery would be sent by DHL. A few weeks later I came outside and Ciro asked me if I was expecting anything from DHL, as a truck was slowly disappearing down the street. Well, I thought there went my new discs! I went online to their tracking service and it showed that the shipment had been refused, refused? The fellow never came to the house! Oh well. Another week passes and I receive an email from the DHL service asking about the shipment. I knew that my spanish was not up to this phone call, so Ciro called them for me. After some number punching he got to a human and tried to explain what had happened. After he got it all sorted out, he handed me the phone. In english, he said. The lady could speak some english and wanted to confirm that Ciro was calling for me. The shipment will be sent out again on Monday, apparently. What a lot of fuss over 2 cds!!
We had gone uptown a few days ago and purchased a TV stand (which is actually more like a linen chest or hope chest). We thought it would work well for the TV, size wise and would also give us some extra storage for seldom used items, extra linens, our jackets (ha, ha) etc.. At the same time we bought a stand alone cupboard to put our dry good groceries in. When we asked when they could be delivered we were told Saturday, which was 3 or 4 days away. This was unusual as things are normally delivered the next day, sometimes even that day. I asked why it would take so long and was told the things would come from their warehouse. Still wondering, I asked where is the warehouse? In Hermosillo I was told, OK, now I understood. Hermosillo is the next large town north of us about 125 kms.. I was quite pleased with my spanish during this exchange, thanks to the above mentioned cds.
Yesterday we decided to finally get some groceries, as Roy is very ready for me to do some cooking. Ciros brother came over the other night and hooked up the stove for us, $17.90 for parts (copper pipe, regulator for the tank, etc.) and $15.00 labor. I had told Ciro and Roy that I was thinking of maybe never hooking up the stove, as I was enjoying not cooking for awhile. That got a chuckle from Ciro and a groan from Roy. Anyway once the stove was connected and working, Ciro looked at Roy, who was grinning from ear to ear and said, "tomorrow cake" and laughed.
Back to the grocery shopping. We thought that seeing as our grocery cupboard would arrive today we would stock up on some things. After buying a whole shopping cart full of stuff, ($40.00) and getting it home, we sat down to relax. A knock on the door. It was the delivery people and it was only Friday. Unfortunately, they only had the TV cabinet, the grocery cabinet was back ordered until September 20 th, "that is a problem", I told them as we will be away, "maybe it will come sooner", he said. They always like to keep the customer happy! They unpacked the TV cabinet and the top had a bashed in spot. The delivery men pointed it out to me before I noticed. Did I still want it, No, I told them. OK, they would bring another one on Monday, no problem. Laughingly I said and maybe the other cupboard too, maybe he replied with a big grin. So now, lots of groceries crammed into a small space. Oh well, we should have known better.
Roy requested spaghetti for supper. He loves the sauce I make with all the fresh veggies and a little meat. I also made a fresh salad and garlic toast to go with it. Stove worked well; no I haven't tried the oven to make a cake yet.
It is looking like home now with everything put away where it will stay. Still looking for our little table for between our recliners and for a night table for my side of the bed. These things are not a major rush, so will look around. We haven't been using the recliners as much since we are up here. With both our computers hooked up we have both been catching up on all the things that we didn't take time for when we were sharing one.
Tomorrow we will go to San Carlos for our Sunday breakfast and possibly meet the lady that we met through another Mexico blogger. She is going to borrow me some more books, my stockpile is going down and the library in one of the San Carlos "gringo" communities will not open for a month or two yet. In Guaymas there are no english books or magazines to be had. I told Ciro that maybe I should borrow some of Alans books to practise my spanish with, I might be able to figure out some of them (he is 6 yrs. old)!
2 comments:
Hi Brenda -
I use the Pimsleur Spanish lessons and like them a lot.
Also, children's books in Spanish are really helpful. We have friends with young ninos in the Colonia. They have loaned their books to me. They are helpful - after all we are learning like children a new language - a good way to go.
Saludos,
Juan Calypso
We also have a demo cd from Rosetta Stone; but I prefer the Visual Link set. I envy you having Anita there to teach you the proper pronunciation/grammar, etc..
Alan is busy getting ready to go back to school, tomorrow I believe. I am sure he will be showing me some of his school books. I could not believe how far advanced in their learning they are a such a young age. He is 6 and they were learning to write already last winter. Our children in Canada don't learn to write until about grade 3, I think, could be wrong as it is a long time since I had children that young.
When does Anita come home? When will you be heading back to Mexico?
Brenda
Post a Comment