Plant Updates
I haven't written much about my plants lately because there hasn't been much to say. A couple of months ago the bouganvillea became infested with insects. I am not sure whether it was the bugs or the homemade spray that I used; but it lost all of its leaves. I continued to baby it and it has regrown its leaves and is beginning to bloom again. The desert rose is getting some new leaves and is growing very slowly. The huge plumeria slips that I was given, (links to where I wrote about them here: http://brendandroygoingtomexico.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-expanding-garden.html#links and here: http://brendandroygoingtomexico.blogspot.com/2006/10/walk-down-street.html#links ). Well, they just sat there all winter, they were still sappy when I scratched them, so I knew that there was life there. The ones I have noticed around town lose all their leaves in the winter, leaving kind of a strange/homely looking skeleton, (the flowers in summer make up for this), so I wasn't expecting much to happen until spring. The other day I noticed that one of the slips is growing leaves, the other is still dormant; but I am hoping it will also start one of these days.New leaves starting on one of the plumeria slips.
I like the jamaica plant, it has smaller, white, hibiscus like blooms, which when they are finished turn into these bright red seed pods, (for lack of a better word). I think that it is these that are used for the juice that is sold here everywhere. It is pretty.
Jamaica plant after the flowers.
The agave type plant is the one that is growing the most and I like it as long as I don't get too close and get poked by its sharp points! It just keeps getting one new leaf after another.
The petunias, geranium and hibiscus are blooming very nicely, the roses are slow- I don't think they liked the winter winds.

No comments:
Post a Comment