Monday, March 05, 2007

Tomatoes, Anyone?

Tomatoes, Anyone?
I had just returned from spanish class this afternoon, when I heard a loudspeaker blaring. Now, this is not an unusual thing around here, as there are trucks that drive by selling everything from veggies and ice cream to a couple last week selling mattresses and bed frames. Some of the tapes are quite muffled and you have to listen closely to understand what they have for you. This time I made out that they had tomatoes, "tomatoes, tomatoes, diez pesos por bolsa", 10 pesos (around $1.00) for a bag. Either he was really muffled or I just wasn't listening closely enough; but as I handed over my 10 pesos I happened to hear the rest of the tape. Diez pesos for tres kilos, oh uh I had just handed over my whooping great sum of $1.00 for 3 kilos of tomatoes, (almost 10 lbs.). As the young fellow and I walked around to the back of the truck and he handed me this big bag, I could see work in my future. Oh well, I laughed to myself, I guess I will find something to do with them. Roy thought it was pretty funny when I came back in with my big bag of tomatoes and he started making noises about a pot of fresh tomato soup. Figure this out, I had just bought 3 kilos of tomatoes for $1.00; but in the store 1 regular sized can of Campbells tomato soup costs somewhere around $1.45. Someone is making money. So, guess what I will be doing with part of my day tomorrow? They look nice and should be tasty. I wonder how many tomatoes you would get for $1.00 in Canada right now? Certainly not 10 pounds.
We have had a beautiful full moon the last couple of nights, so I tried to get a photo tonight. This is the result. Much better in real life, when you can see the shadow of the mountain in the moonlight; but this is what I captured.

1 comment:

Rusty in Miami said...

We go to the U-Pick field to get our tomatoes but the price is no where near that and you have to go out in the fields to get it ( but it is fun)