Thursday, October 26, 2006

My Expanding Garden

My Expanding Garden

At the end of the block and around the corner from us is a home with some nice plantings. The yard looks like a cool, shady oasis. There is a plant the size of a tree that I have been coveting a cutting of for ages; but I never see anyone outside to ask. Yesterday on my way back from the store the gentleman was just coming home. I asked him what the name of the plant was (he didn't know) and I told him that I just love the scent of the flowers. He agreed that yes, it does smell very nice. He then asked me if I would like a cutting, naturally I answered yes, glad that I hadn't had to ask. Just a minute he said and went into the house to get something to cut a piece off with. He came out with a hand wood saw! He motioned to a large branch hanging over the sidewalk and asked if this one would be good. Yes, I answered after asking him if he was sure he wanted to lop off such a huge piece. Oh sure, was his answer and I walked home with my huge cutting, a very happy camper!! If anyone knows the name, I would appreciate it. I asked Ciro and the names he gave me are words in the Nahuatl language and that's all I get when I google. This one has aromatic pink flowers; but Ciro and Nancy both say it also comes with yellow or white flowers.
The "cutting" a very nice gentleman gave me.



The bouganvillea is doing well, as are the other plants. So far I haven't killed anything.


One of the garden blogs that I read and enjoy is written by a fellow called Gary, who lives his profile says, in southeast Texas. Here is the link to his blog, if you are interested in gardening you will enjoy it. http://tismoreblessed.blogspot.com/ On Monday he had posted a photo of his garden bench which reminded me of one that I had taken in my garden in Canada, in the summer of 2005.

Part of my old garden in Canada.



I tried to take a photo of the bread man as he went by yesterday; but had some problems with the photo. It was already shady on our patio and my camera batteries needed charging. I tried to fix the photo with limited results; but here it is anyway, I will try to get a better one another day. LATER NOTE: A lovely lady from this blog: http://alexandriadailyphoto.wordpress.com/ took the time to "fix" my photo, many thanks. The new and improved version is below.

The bread man (with the hat). The lady and the little girl are our neighbors across the street, the man in foreground is our landlords oldest son (also named Ciro).


Just as a note: The plank with the cross pieces on it in the background is what the man working on the neighbors home walks up to the second floor on, carrying cement! OH&S and Workers Compensation would have a hemorrhage over this in Canada, here it is the "norm" and no one thinks anything of it.

4 comments:

Marie McC said...

Oh, I miss gardening! Any chance you can get a picture of the entire flowering plant from which you got a cutting? Those leaves aren't enough for me to go on. Your Canadian garden was lovely!

Marie McC said...

Yes, Bread Man looks much better now! Glad I could help.

1st Mate said...

Brenda, I believe the cutting might be plumeria, if the flowers are small trumpet-shaped and white with golden centers. I was given a cutting of plumeria, and unfortunately let it die, but then found a little one growing right in front of our house!

Brenda Maas said...

Hi 1st Mate. No, the flowers are pink; although it could just be a different cultivar, I suppose. I am going to try and remember to take a photo of the flowers tomorrow, if they survive this wind we are getting tonight, where is this coming from anyway. It is usually just windy before and after the full moon for 3 days or so. I still intend to get out there to the viveros, just having gotten around to it yet.
Brenda