Beach And Tomatoes
It was a lovely day here in town yesterday, so we decided to go to the beach at Miramar. I got brave and left my sweater at home and when we got there I wished that I had taken it. There was quite a cool breeze off of the water and I was chilly. It didn't seem to bother the birds and they were busy fishing. The water was not as clear as usual because of the wind. Here are a couple of bird photos that I took.
If you look closely at this fellow below, you will see that his pouch is bulging with water. It seems that when they catch something, they keep their heads down and drain the water from their pouches before throwing their heads up in the air and swallowing their lunch. I love watching the pelicans. They look like something prehistoric when they are flying and appear cumbersome when they are on the ground; but their diving skills are fantastic.
I needed to do something with the tomatoes today that I had bought the other day. Remember 3 kilos for $1.00? Gary, the fellow who was here in December for a couple of weeks, very nicely emailed me and told me what the tomato costs are right now in his area of Alberta. He said that they were $1.99 a pound the other day, which at 2.2 lbs. per kilo would be $4.38 a kilo. Now multiply that by 3 and it comes to $13.24 for 3 kilos. Yikes, what a difference!! Anyway I made a pot of tomato soup and chopped up the rest to make enough for 3 batches of tomato sauce for spaghetti. Mission accomplished.

1 comment:
I love tomatoes, and the cheaper they are, the more of them I buy. Ironically, most of the tomatoes I get here in Houston come from Mexico. The quality seems to be much better than the Florida tomatoes, which are much more expensive.
Post a Comment