Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dentist

Dentist
We picked up Roys glasses on Tuesday and they seem to be working out fine for him. We also purchased a licuadora (blender), an Oster brand, so hopefully it will be a good one.
Yesterday morning I went to the dentist. I had been told that he spoke english, which I thought was good as my spanish fails when things get too technical. I waited for a few minutes in the waiting room and then was ushered into the room by the dentist himself. He began speaking to me in spanish and I explained why I was there. We discussed it for a minute until I couldn't understand a couple of words, then he just automatically switched to english. Pretty funny. He asked me if I wanted Novocaine and I told him yes. I told him in spanish that I am very afraid of dentists and in english he replied, "me too", and we both had a good laugh. Apparently there were two old fillings that needed replacing, hmmm... the other dentist said 3. So he began to drill. There was a bit of decay starting under one of the fillings he said; but not too bad. He put in medicated temporary fillings to deaden the sensitivity that was present and told me to come back on Saturday. He very nicely told me that he would not need to drill on Saturday as he just picks out part of the medicated filling and then puts the permanent one on top of that. Pleasant news for me. All in all a good experience. He worked quickly, gently and hopefully did a good job. Who knows?
Differences from a dental visit in Canada: 1. no long wait in the waiting room. 2. no extensive xrays 3. no assistant hopping up and down and doing the little things for him 4. cost of 2 fillings--$800 pesos or about $80.00 (400 pesos each--$40.00).
The novacaine always zonks me out, so I spent part of the afternoon having a nap. I didn't feel up to my spanish lesson so Roy went up the hill and told the teacher that I would be back on Friday.
Today we have a day off, no appointments or grocery shopping or anything.
Friday I need to pick up the new lenses for my glasses and wait for them to put them in the old frames, then back to the bank and later in the afternoon my spanish lesson. Between new glasses, dentist and rent the cash from Monday is gone. Boy, that was quick for down here. It usually lasts for about 2 weeks. Saturday morning it is back to the dentist. After that we should be good for awhile on the medical side of things.
Medical costs this week: New lenses for me and complete set of glasses for Roy--2900 pesos (about $290.00 dollars). Two dental fillings for me--800 pesos (about $80.00 dollars).

7 comments:

Marie McC said...

So for two people, you can usually get by on $370 for two weeks. Wow!! That's impressive!!

Glad your dentistry went well. I've had so many unpleasant dental experiences, including my last one, that I'm currently without one.

Brenda Maas said...

Hi Marie, no we cannot live on $370.00 for 2 weeks. I also had to pay the rent.
We usually go through about $400.00 dollars every 10-12 days. Depending on if we eat out a few times and where and what other things that we do. With all of our bad habits included we live on around $1000.00 to $1200.00 a month.
Brenda

Gary said...

I love a bargain. And I love readingg about one too. Nice post.

Marie McC said...

Brenda, still a bargain, especially for two people! Think the two of you could live on that in the States?

On a couple of retire-in-Mexico forums I haunt, people ask all the time if ONE person can live in Mexico on $1500 a month. I know that that depends on where in Mexico one lives (i.e., higher concentration of Norteamericanos enclave vs. less gringofied area) and the individual lifestyle, but most of the responses are that one should plan on more than that. So glad to see that it ain't necessarily so.

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks Gary.
Marie, as you say it depends on where and how you live; but no, we could not live on that either in the US or in Canada.
We live pretty simply. We are not into partying and drinking so save some cash there.
If we lived in San Carlos which is close to us, our costs would be much higher. If we wanted to go to all the "gringo events" there, our costs would be much higher as the tickets for those type of events are usually around $10-$12.00 dollars each. We are not interested in most of those events though as they are usually fund raisers for San Carlos things, if we want to support something it would be something in Guaymas. A lot of the things we go to here are either free or minimal charges. The costs of eating out here are much less than in San Carlos also and we enjoy it more.
Naturally some costs are fixed costs whether you are one or two people. For example rent and cable/internet. If a person wants to continue living a "status symbol" lifestyle down here (large house, vehicle, swilling margaritas constantly) then yes, you will need more than $1500.00 a mth.. It always boils down to how and where you want to live. We live the life we want in a normal neighborhood in a normal community. It is just a day by day life not a constant vacation/partying type lifestyle.

Ann said...

Brenda -

I'm planning a trip to Guaymas and am starting research to find a competent dentist in the area. Both my significant other and myself have a fair amount of dental work needed and would like to stretch our dollar if possible. Please let me know if you are willing to make a recommendation.

Thanx,

Ann

Brenda Maas said...

Hi Ann. I have gone to 2 dentists here in Guaymas and have been happy with both of them.
The first was a lady that spoke some english, she has now opened a practice in San Carlos also, not sure if she still works out of the office in Guaymas also or not. As I have not been to her in awhile. I found her to work very slowly and as I am afraid of dentists this bothered me, lots of time in the chair. Her name is Dra. Maricela Arizmendi, address of office in Guaymas is: Avenue Serdan and Calle 15, #8 upstairs. Building Serdan, phone number: 622-222-9399
The other dentist that I have been using is: Dr. Leonel A. Vizcaino, Calle 9, telephone number: 222-2660 he speaks very good english but the receptionist does not.
Good luck and if you want more info. or anything feel free to email me at: greenmaasacres AT msn DOT com