Friday, October 21, 2005

Mexico-- Love It or Hate It

Mexico-- Love It or Hate It
I have uploaded some new photos on the webshots album; but it is on the second album which is here: http://community.webshots.com/user/brendamaa1
Before we came to Mexico I had read somewhere that either you will love it or hate it with very few in betweens-- well if this is Mexico we love it! The people are friendly and welcoming. They put up with our poor to non-existent spanish with a smile and they enjoy trying out their few words of english on us. We've been here less than 2 weeks and already dread leaving. After a few questions about why we are not living in San Carlos (a tourist type place) the neighborhood seems to have accepted us, at least on the surface, I'm sure there have been a few conversations about the loco gringos who are always walking somewhere. The majority of people hop the bus to get where they are going, but we have lots of time and walking is the best way to get to know the area, see the sights and smell the smells.
Safety- At one of the campgrounds in New Mexico a single lady asked us if we thought she would be safe travelling in Mexico on her own. As we had never been here before we just told her about what we had read. Now after walking everywhere for almost 2 weeks I can honestly say that we have never felt the least bit nervous. We probably spend 3 hours a day walking all over. I have walked by myself several times and feel more comfortable here than I ever felt walking in Edmonton. We don't carry a lot of cash and what we do carry is basically in a "throwaway" wallet, so if we are robbed we will not lose our ID, etc.. We also haven't wandered around after dark; but that is mainly because we are not evening people, even at home. We go for a walk in the morning when it is cooler, til around noon, relax for the afternoon and then go out again either before or after supper. It's a tough life!
Water-- Because the city water supply is erratic almost all the houses have "tinacos" or water tanks on the roofs, therefore we have a steady supply of running water. We do have both hot and cold water; although we don't often use the hot. The water from the roof tank is a comfortable temperature to shower with even in the early morning. The water delivery man come by daily with drinking water, $1.00 for 19 liters, this we use for drinking and cooking.
Weather-- WONDERFUL-- high today 36 degrees Celcius, low 19 degrees Celcius.

3 comments:

Billie Mercer said...

I knew you would love it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda - I wasn't as sure as Billie - but we are really happy to read your report. We feel the same over here in Xico - while we have only been here a few days (this time) we always never want to go back - and eventually never will.
Calypso John

Billie Mercer said...

Brenda, the quality of the images you are putting up isn't as good as the ones you did in the states. I don't know if it is the internet connection or what but just thought you might want to know so you could see if there is anything you can do about it. Just don't stop sending pics.
Billie