On The Road--Day Four--September 23,2005
It seemed as if the minute we crossed into Colorado the scenery changed from barren to trees and color. We left Craig and continued south to Meeker, Rifle and onwards. We decided then to take the "Grand Mesa Scenic Byway,". What can I say but, WOW, what scenery! Close to Skyway, Colorado a fellow told us that it is the largest, flat top mountain in the world, with approx. 200 lakes in the area. The fall color on the leaves was stunning. We continued on to Delta and Montrose. The area between Ouray and Silverton in the Uncompahgre National Forest has aboslutely breathtaking scenery. It is the regular highway--not a scenic route and at times the speed limit was 10 MPH. Elevations between 10 and11 thousand feet for several hours. I have driven on the "Going to the Sun" road in the Glacier National Park; but this area made that look like an easy drive. Road consisted of loops, switchbacks and 90 degree turns. The most breathtaking scenery I have ever seen. The scenery and road remained much like that all the way to Durango, only a distance of 107 miles; but it took us 3 1/2 hours to drive. I don't have the words to describe the beauty of the area, definately reccomend this drive; but make sure your brakes are in good condition before doing so. From Durango we crossed into New Mexico and camped at Bloomfield, New Mexico for the night. When we arrived at Bloomfield it was 5 PM and 80 degrees Farenheit. Roy was sweating as he set up the tent. I was sitting at the picnic table at 8 PM in my short sleeves while writing this down. We had stopped at a couple of fruit/vegetables places and bought fresh peaches, tomatoes,cucumbers and corn on the cob. The fresh picked peaches were delicious and we pigged out on fresh corn on the cob for supper. The campsite has a pool, so we may go swimming in the afternoon, as I think we will stay here another night, before heading onwards. The parks we are thinking of staying in are out of the mainstream so we will be out of touch again until we hit Albuquerque on the 1 st of October.
No comments:
Post a Comment