Thursday, February 15, 2007

Spanish Classes?

Spanish Classes?
Spanish class was fine on Monday, on Tuesday I arrived and the teacher did not. She did run in at one point, and say something about her house being broken into and asked us to tell everyone to return on Wednesday to make up Tuesdays class. Well, myself and one other lady showed up on Wednesday and still no teacher. We sat and waited for 1/2 hour and then decided to go home. She asked if I wanted a ride into Guaymas as they had to go into town for groceries. The classes are in San Carlos which is a 2 bus ride trip for me. I said sure, so we headed to her house to pick up her husband and their handyman who they were giving a ride home. It turned out that their handyman only lives a short way from us and is looking for some more work. Before taking him home, they stopped to drop me off and I introduced him to Ciro (who has been looking for someone to do more work here). He and Ciro chatted for awhile and he agreed to come and start work a week from Saturday. He couldn't come sooner because of some work needing to be finished for the other couple and of course, Carnaval. Carnaval is a big deal here, so I can understand that he would not want to start a new job during it. We will see if he shows up. I could actually understand what Ciro was telling him that he wanted done.
Yesterday, being Valentines Day we thought we would go out for dinner. The restaurant that we chose to go to was not open so we pondered on where to go. We finally decided to catch the bus out to San Carlos and go to our friends restaurant, as we hadn't been there for awhile. When we got on the bus I asked when the last bus back was, it was already 7PM and we didn't want to be stuck out there for the night. He told us that it was at 9PM, so we headed out. We were intending to have pizza as theirs is good and we haven't had pizza for ages. It was not to be, when we arrived they started telling us of their "new" fried chicken plate and about how good it is. They have just gotten a larger deep fryer and are now able to do chicken, the old one was too small. They convinced us and we ordered it. It wasn't too busy so we were able to visit with both of them. I guess a lot of people went out for a "fancier" meal as it was Valentines Day. While we were visiting 2 other couples came in, they were also from Alberta, about 2 1/2 hrs. from where we were from. Then another lady came in, another Albertan from about 2 hrs. in another direction. We had a good laugh at this and one lady asked the other if she had turned out the lights in Alberta when she left! It turned out that all of the people above are leaving this Friday to return to Alberta, (where the temperature yesterday was -30C. with a 22 km. wind), we don't envy them. The people from Saskatchewan in the RV park are leaving this morning, I hope the weather co-operates with their travels. According to the computer it has warmed up to -7 C. with a wind of 20 km. per hr., just toasty warm. UGH!! We finished our dinner and it was really tasty, visited for awhile and caught the bus into town. By this time it was almost 10 PM and the town buses were no longer running so we walked home from downtown. We debated taking a cab; but we needed to walk off some of the supper.
Today I will return to spanish class and I hope she shows up as this will be the 4th trip to San Carlos this week for class and so far only 1 class.
Tonight is the "parade of bad humor" and the burning of the effigy, so we will probably head downtown to see it, it was funny last year and we enjoyed it.

No comments: