Saturday, February 10, 2007

Getting Settled

Getting Settled
We had cleaned out the cupboards and frig so well before we left that we needed to do a major grocery shopping. We were both hungry, so Roy suggested that we stop at a local taco stand for lunch. The ladies grandson was out with his mom and they were feeding him. We were talking and waving to him, so when I went to pay for our lunch, I held out my arms to him and he came to me. That surprised me, as the little children are usually quite shy and we had never seen him before. He checked me out for awhile before deciding that he wanted to go back to grandma. A fun lunch.
We wanted to stop at a couple of places so decided to take the car this time. We stopped at a veggie truck to get our fresh produce. I bought: a head of lettuce, a kilo of tomatoes, a kilo of onions, carrots, a bunch of green onions, 2 kilos of potatoes, and some radishes. In case you are interested, the bill came to $6.00 dollars for a bag and a half of veggies. Not too bad. We then hit the grocery store and filled up a cart. We were out of almost everything. The bill was huge for us, around $60.00. We almost never spend that much here; but the cart was full, so I didn't feel too bad. One more store for our bacon and eggs and we were on our way home. I needed to find some dry mustard, so I asked the shopkeeper (where we shop regularily), if they use it here (apparently they do for chinese food). He called to his sister in the back room and she appeared with a can. Fine, I said I'll take it. Oh no, they replied, it is her can. OK, where do I buy it, I asked. Their answer was, Costco in Hermosillo! Great, Hermosillo is 125 kms. away!! The next thing I knew they had the can open and were pouring some of it into a plastic bag. They refused to take any money for it, so we thanked them and came home. The people here are so helpful to us; I would have preferred to pay for it; but what can you do in a situation like this. The cupboard is filled to overflowing and I can cook anything I want to now. The truck selling oranges for $1.00 a bag came by, so we got our oranges too. We had ordered some more shrimp from Nancys mom and Nancy came up with them in the evening. We had shrimp tacos and a big fresh salad with everything in it, including orange chunks. It was good.
Today I did some errands and started to check out crock pots and a bathroom scale. We are eating so good here, that I am afraid to get on the scale; but have decided that it is time. I also needed to go to the bank. I was going to do the laundry; but didn't get to that. Oh well, manana.
For supper tonight, I made spaghetti with a veggie/meat sauce, (as I now have lots of fresh veggies), some more salad and a flan type desert. Maybe I shouldn't buy that scale!!
We had a beautiful sunset here tonight; but instead of running for the camera, I just stood and watched it. It's good to be home.

No comments: