Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Back To Normal

Back To Normal
Well, yesterday was "fat Tuesday", so it was the last day of Carnaval here. We didn't go to the parade, as I was supposed to have spanish class. I am becoming "muy frustrado" with my spanish classes. Last week I made the trip to San Carlos 4 times, and actually had the teacher show up for 1 class. This maybe doesn't sound like a big deal to you; but for me it kind of is. You see I need to leave home about 10 minutes before 2 PM to catch the local bus uptown, then I have to wait for the San Carlos bus and catch it, arriving in San Carlos just before 3 PM when the class is supposed to start. After the hour class is over at 4 PM, I have to catch the bus back to Guaymas and then my local bus home. I arrive home about 5 PM. So I am taking 3 hours out of my day for this 1 hour class. Yesterday we (the students) all arrived and again the teacher did not. We sat around for awhile and then headed home. I realise that the teacher had a personal problem last week and I have some sympathy for her. What I don't have sympathy for, is the fact that she does not contact anyone to let us know that she can't make it to class. She just doesn't show up, and before someone reminds me that this is the way things are done here, the teacher is not a mexican person. I am still deciding whether I will give her another chance and go out there tomorrow or not. I just feel like I am wasting my time the last couple of weeks. I badly want to improve my spanish; but this is not happening when there is no class/teacher. We (the students), joked yesterday about starting our own class. Some of my fellow students will begin leaving shortly, as they are "winter" residents, so I don't imagine that the classes would continue through the summer anyway. I am beginning to think that I may just quit now and try to find something else after we return from the Baja in July.
Speaking of the Baja. We chatted on IM last evening with our housesit lady there and they have booked their tickets for their vacation. We will be leaving here on May 17 th to go over there and will be returning sometime after the 11th of July. We intend to take the bus to Los Mochis and then another one to the ferry terminal at Topolobampo. Then take the ferry over to La Paz, where they will pick us up and drive to their home, which is not quite a 2 hr. drive south. They live out in the country about 6 miles from a town, right on the beach. We should have a nice time there with their cats and are looking forward to it. Of course, before we get to do this, we have to head back to Albuquerque, New Mexico for 2 weeks in mid April, so we are going to have a busy and interesting spring.
Yesterday I made homemade baked beans and put them in the slow cooker to "bake", they were good for a change. You can't buy baked beans here, so we haven't had any for almost a year.
We are out of coffee, so I need to go to the store today and need to get a haircut soon. We are thinking of going down to the sea also. With the "cold" weather and my classes, it is quite awhile since we have gone and just sat and watched the birds and the waves.

No comments: