Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Tianguis, Photos And Friends

Tianguis, Photos And Friends
I was supposed to met the two ladies at 10 AM in Centro to walk to the tianguis. I wanted to take some photos I still needed for another post I have in my head, so I left home just after 9 AM. It was cool this morning so I put on my socks, sneakers and jacket, I haven't worn my sneakers since being in Canada in the springtime and also haven't bundled up like this since then. It seemed strange. I managed to get the photos I needed and was still a little early so I stopped on the corner by the newspaper sellers. Naturally they all tried to sell me a paper; I asked for the paper that I prefer (El Vigia); but none of them had that one. I didn't really need a paper that bad so didn't buy one of the others, I walked down the street to take a photo of the mercado building. They have plans to rejuvenate this building so I wanted to get a photo of it before they begin the work. After getting my photos I returned to the corner to see if my friends had arrived and one of the newspaper ladies was quick to point out to me that there was now a person there selling the newspaper that I had asked for. So I got my paper. People are so nice here. My friends had arrived so we walked down to the tianguis, chatting up a storm--it is so easy in english!! We wandered all over the market and looked to our hearts content. We got some veggies and the other ladies got some Christmas decorations. Finished with our shopping there we again walked backed uptown and got some more things that they were looking for. By this time the sun had come out and we were thirsty and hungry from all the talking and walking. We stopped for lunch and talked some more. After lunch they caught their bus back to San Carlos and I stopped and bought a rolling pin and came home. I haven't talked this much for ages, it was an enjoyable morning/afternoon.
Here are a few of the photos that I took this morning.
This is the Mercado building. It is much larger than it looks here.

Outside the mercado building.

I just love this old building downtown, I think it was a bank originally. I call it the "Poseidon Building" because of the figures by the door. It is a large building.

My Poseidon fellows flank the doors.

The window details.

The street decorations are very nice,the avenues have different decorations.

No comments: