Roadside Attractions
I still needed some more soil to top up a few of the plants. We had gotten a bag the other day; but by the time I planted up the new plants, there was none left to top up the other ones. We decided to take time out of our busy schedule this morning to go and get some. We headed out to San Carlos and had breakfast at our friends restaurant and then went to the viveros (nursery) out there as she had the best soil out of the three places that we have bought it at. We had a nice breakfast and then went to the nursery and then back towards town. On the way into San Carlos I had noticed a new set up beside the road, selling pots, furniture, chandeliers, decorations, etc.. I always like to stop and look as everything is so brightly colored, I am kind of like a kid in a candy shop. We don't need anything; but it never hurts to look. A lot of people complain about all the garbage on the roadsides in Mexico and I agree that there is lots in some places; but there are also lots of interesting things on the roadsides here. On any given day you can stop and buy nuts, fruit, vegetables, spices, furniture, decorations, newspapers, food, juice, and almost anything else you can think of. The other day there were a couple of fellows set up selling little bonsai plants. I love the roadsides here. The following photos are of the merchandise the fellow had for sale. When I asked him where it was all made he said that it is from the center of the country around Guadaljara, Guanajuato, Mexico DF, etc.. Very nice stuff, just wish I had somewhere to put it! He had some nice small wall fountains that would have looked very good on our wall; but we have no plug in on the outside wall, so Roy put a halt to that one. Men!!!! They just have no imagination. Smile.
Nice things and reasonable prices.



This fellow was relaxing after his hard days work, or so we assumed as he had his machete at his side.
This wooden fellow was complete with huge belt buckle, six shooter, cigar and tequila. Ready for a Saturday night.



5 comments:
Brenda, I think your next to last guy sitting down is suppose to be Don Quijote after tilting at windmills.
There is a store just around the corner from us who has a large one of these guys but he has already been painted. I've been eyeing him as an addition for the patio.
Oh, wow, I'm a big sucker for this kind of stuff -- well, LOOKING at it, anyway!! :)
If you'd like another cyber sidewalk shopping experience, take a look at the beautiful photo series of women selling textiles Nov. 29-Dec. 1 on Antigua Daily Photo at http://www.antiguadailyphoto.com
Billie: Yes, I think you are probably right. It never occurred to me that it was representative of someone. Roy said he thought it was a sword rather than a machete at the time. It is the wrong shape for a machete.
Marie: I went to that site and loved every minute of it. Beautiful photos and his September 1st doorway was unbelievably gorgeous. Roy spent some time in Antigua about 8 yrs. ago and recognised some of the places on that blog. Thanks for the link.
I love shopping for garden stuff. It is one of my favorite things to do. I think I would really enjoy that place in the photo.
Gary: you probably would have enjoyed it. Great stuff. Now that I don't have a major sized garden, well no actual garden at all, just containers,I am trying to restrain myself. I used to always be on the look out for garden stuff or making something for the garden. One thing I had done once was this: I bought a large old empty picture frame and then didn't know what to do with it. I built a stand for it (kind of like a painters easel) out of tree branches (rustic looking) and placed the frame on it in front of some blooming plants so that the frame, framed the blooms. Looked kind of cool, when I got sick of it, a lady who was looking at my garden wanted it, so I gave it to her.
Brenda
Post a Comment