Monday, December 18, 2006

Malecon, Old And New

Malecón, Old And New
This morning we headed to centro to look for an easel. We went to one store and were directed to another, we were then directed to yet a third store. No one had one or knew of a store here in Guaymas that we could get one at. We may go to San Carlos tomorrow, there is supposed to be an art supply store there that may have one.
Rather than heading home, we went and sat in the park for awhile. I had bought a newspaper so we read/looked at that and watched a couple of cute kids and the pigeons.
We then decided to walk around to where they are dredging and filling in part of the bay. We used to walk along the malecón a lot; but since they started working on it, we haven't gone as often. It is not the same and I am afraid that I really don't care for the tourist plans that they have for the area . Unfortunately, in my mind, in February a fellow from Holland cruise lines is coming to meet with some people here. They will be discussing whether Guaymas would be a good place for them to bring their ships and lots of passengers, while they wait for the passengers who go on the Copper Canyon train ride (2 days or so). I realise that the new things going on here, are now and will in the future create employment; but I also worry about the negative aspects connected with things like this. I wish that I could have seen the malecón before they did the last improvements in the 1970's (approx. date).
This was before the statue of the fisherman was put in place, he was placed there after the remodeling at that time, or so I have been told.






This is what is going on today.

Maybe a couple of these boats are the ones below?

They filled in around this ship and another one, they are dismantling the other one piece by piece and we assume that is what will happen to this one. Needless to say, neither was seaworthy.




This is what is left (foreground) of one ship, they are still working on dismantling it.

We walked along, watching the birds. There were some interesting ones with bright orange beaks that were very vocal. A nice blue/grey crane, gulls and of course, my favorites the pelicans. It was cloudy today so some of the birds kind of fade into the water on the photos; but they do look better if you view them full size by clicking on them. We continued to walk for a long time before hopping on a bus and heading home.
A view of the port.



Blue/grey crane.

Rest and relaxation!!

This fellow was just taking off.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I love your descriptions - using both words and pictures really makes it come to life.

If they are dredging and filling in part of the bay, will they be restoring the malecon?

We are visiting Mazatlan in February and are looking forward to walking on their 17 mile long malecon.

Hasta luego!

Nancy

Brenda Maas said...

I am not exactly sure of what their plans are for the malecon. This area where they are dredging and filling is just a small part of where you can walk along the water. It is not 17 miles long; but you can walk for quite a long way (couple of miles??). I know that they have plans to tear down some of the older buildings and build some hotels, etc.; but as for the plans for the malecon, I don't know. I am hoping that they will keep the buildings back from the water and restore the walking area. But who knows?