Thursday, December 07, 2006

Earthquake

Earthquake
I forgot to mention on yesterdays posts that we had had an earthquake here in the morning. At 7:11 AM (yes, I looked at my watch), things began to "shiver". At first I thought there must be a very large truck going by (what can I say, I'm a prairie girl not accustomed to earthquakes). Quickly realised that it was an earthquake. Things shivered for a bit and then quit, I waited for an aftershock; but there was nothing. We did have a tiny one last winter that Roy didn't even notice. I was laying on the couch at the time and it felt like the couch vibrated. Someone said that the San Andreas fault lies off the coastline; but don't quote me on this. I later read this info.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 4.5 (Light)
Date-Time Wednesday, December 6, 2006 at 14:09:59 (UTC)
= Coordinated Universal Time
Wednesday, December 6, 2006 at 7:09:59 AM
= local time at epicenter

Location 27.625°N, 111.290°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region GULF OF CALIFORNIA
Distances 51 km (32 miles) SW (229°) from Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
55 km (34 miles) SW (224°) from Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
60 km (37 miles) SW (230°) from Empalme, Sonora, Mexico
135 km (84 miles) W (277°) from Obregón, Sonora, Mexico
775 km (482 miles) SE (133°) from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 20.9 km (13.0 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters Nst= 37, Nph= 37, Dmin=728.3 km, Rmss=1.12 sec, Gp=248°, M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver
Last evening Ciro came up with a recipe for Bug Spray for my plants, he knows that I prefer natural products over the purchased ones. They are usually safer for the environment and cheaper; although this one has tobacco in it so the nicotine concentration would be poisonous to your children and pets if they drank it, I am pretty sure. Homemade or not, you still need to be careful with things like this. So I will try making that today. He also gave me the site that he got it off of. http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF- There is lots of interesting information on this site, recipes for cooking and recipes for cleaning products, etc. for your home and much, much more. It will take me a long time to get through this site.
I had asked Ciro whether there were any processions here before the Virgen de Guadalupe Day on the 12th of December and he said there was; but he wasn't sure what time they were held. Last night he told me that he had found out that the processions are every day at 5 PM and also told me the route that they follow. So I will have to go and check that out this afternoon.
Sounds like a busy day coming up: making bug spray, need to get some groceries and go to the bank before my dentist appt. tomorrow and then a procession at 5 PM. Oh, and I suppose that Roy will expect some food also!! Man, this retirement is hard work. Smile.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Was it that bad? I didn´t feel it because I was driving late to work at the time it happened.

Brenda Maas said...

It shook the shells sitting on our TV. and it was quite noticeable to me at least; but as I said I have next to no experience of them.

Gary said...

You are very lucky having cheap insurance. My car insurance costs me almost $1,200 a year here in Houston.

Islagringo said...

Brenda, the link for the homemade bug spray you posted doesn't work. Can you check it and send it to me? Does this stuff work with ants too!?!?