Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Old Fort At Ortiz

Old Fort At Ortiz

It's been a quiet few days. We haven't been doing anything exciting, so I have been lazy about blogging. I was supposed to have a dental appt. yesterday at 4:30 PM. I arrived about 15 minutes early and was told that the dentist was not back yet from a trip to Hermosillo. She would be about 1/2 an hour yet. No problem, I said (I had brought along a book to read). I had just settled into my book when the office phone rang. It was the dentist, she was going to be later than expected. I decided not to wait and made another appt. for today at 4:30. The receptionist apologised and told me that she would have phoned; but I have no phone. I told her it was no big deal. Stopped and got some groceries and went home.
It was windy again yesterday and really windy all night long. This weather is strange compared to last year and mustn't be typical as Ciro was complaining about it the other day. Ciro brought Alan up the other evening to show me his new "crown", I asked him if it hurt. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "no". OK, so I am a wimp about dentists.
There is an old military fort at a small town called Ortiz near here. We went there last year; but at the time didn't know anything about it. This is what I have found out about it so far.
Another important event was the construction of the Military Quarter of Ortiz. During the campaign of Yaqui, already finished first stage of the Mexican revolution, general Francisco R. Manzo was in charge of the Headquarters of the federal forces with seat in Empalme, soon changed to the La Misa until August of 1927 and later to Ortiz in where between 1926 and 1927 a quarter was constructed, in charge was the architect and colonel Guillermo Padilla Franyutti. The construction made groups of soldiers who worked in two turns. They made adobe and bricks, carried lime and stone, dug a well and installed tanks for the water, etc. This facility was never attacked by Yaquis. General Manzo settled down his headquarters there along with two squadrons of airplanes of the Mexican Air Force to the control of greater Robert Fierro and Gustavo C. Leon and several thousands of men of the battalions 4º, 6º, 10º and 29º.

In 1929 a rebellion in the republic that was well-known like Escobarista or Renovadora, in that occurred participated many sonorenses heads against the form in which general Plutarco Elías Streets continued dominating the national policy although he was no longer the president of the republic. The rebellion quickly was dominated and their heads, among them the general Manzo and general the Faustus Topete, exiled themselves in the United States. The city of Hermosillo was bombed and the quarter of Ortiz was taken without shooting a single shot by colonel Marcelo Zavala, of the column of general Lazaro Cardenas. General Leopoldo Rabatté, head of 10º rebellious battalion also fled. Little by little the quarter was abandoned as the Yaquis were pacified and when the country entered a time of peace. For several decades the building deteriorated until arriving at the lamentable state in which it is at the moment
.

I don't know what year this photo was taken.


Photos from 2005.



7 comments:

Rusty in Miami said...

Ciro is right it the crown doesn’t hurt as long as you get plenty of anesthicia

Anonymous said...

I was in Ortiz six years ago. Not able to speak much Spanish I found the people to be very friendly but very poor. It was a wonderful experience. How far do you live from there?

Brenda Maas said...

We live right in Guaymas and it would be around 30 or so miles to Ortiz from here, that is just a rough estimate.
Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Bruce said...

Thank you for posting the information on the old fort at Ortiz. It was very interesting. I and friends went there a couple of weeks ago and I found it so interesting I wanted more info, so tried the internet but found nothing on Ortiz nor the fort. Too bad the Mexican government does not restore it as a historical site and encourage tourism..It would help the locals. Thanks again Bruce

Brenda Maas said...

Hi Bruce. I also thought it was interesting after we visited it and all I could find was some information on the Guaymas city website. They have since changed the info. on the website; but there is still some stuff on there.
If you are interested the website is here: http://guaymas.gob.mx/historia.php
and you click on the left hand side of the page on Comisaria de Ortiz.
thanks for commenting.

Anonymous said...

I am of ortiz and gives me a lot of tristeza see fall this military barracks, although already no alive here worries me a lot that the government do not worry by my village and this leaving fall this historical place so important, gives me taste that him aiga liked the barracks the strong and of truth that his history is very interesting graces to write and devote him est GUADALUPE RENDON

Brenda Maas said...

Guadalupe: gracias por su comentario.
Nos gustan esta lugar.
Es muy triste que no hay nadie que esté interesada en el mantenimiento de esta fortaleza. Muy triste como hay tanta historia allí.
¿Es posible que el INAH estaría interesado en ella si se contactó?