Thursday, February 02, 2006

Candlemas

Candlemas
Today is the last day of the Christmas season here in Mexico. It is Candlemas Day. This is the day when the people who found the baby Jesus in the bread on Reyes de Magos Day (3 wise men day) are supposed to host a party. It may or may not be a loud evening. I am not sure if there is anything going on here in Guaymas; but the landlord, his wife and daughter in law went to school with the little boy, carrying a huge stainless steel bowl covered with a tea towel. I am assuming that there is something going on at school.
It is also Groundhog Day; although to us here the groundhog seeing or not seeing his shadow does not seem very important. The weather here is great as usual; sunny, no wind, highs of 26-27 and lows of 12-13.
Today is also the birthday of Anita, the wife of John. We read his blog about living in Veracruz state daily. It is an entertaining and enlightening read which you can find here: http://www.vivaveracruz.com/blog/ . Feliz Cumpleanos Anita, have a wonderful day! John was lucky? enough to find several baby Jesus' in the bread at several parties, so they will also be holding a Candlemas party. I'm sure it will be a busy day at their home.
We went to the weekly tianguis here yesterday. I purchased a nice summer dress for 20 pesos ($2.00 dollars). As it is white and mid calf length Roy told me it looks like nightie- MEN! I told him I am going to go and buy the brightest belt I can find to wear with it. As bright colors and sequins abound here it shouldn't be too hard.
I have been doing some research. I have found out that none of the pharmacies here carry my high blood pressure medication- good thing that I brought enough with me; they do have the brand that Roy takes and he has been buying them here. I also found out that the only patterns here for sewing clothes are not the greatest. The large fabric store here has 3 magazines with lots of colored pages of clothes, in the center of the magazine are the patterns on a few pull out pages. The patterns are printed in different colored inks one on top of the other. Now that would take some concentration and patience! As our schedule is fairly flexible- as in do what we want, when we want- no time lines, I am checking into little things like this. Everyone is so helpful, bending over backwards to help total strangers like us find the information they are seeking. I'm sure my horrendous spanish must offend their ears ; but they patiently listen and try to understand me, then smiling brightly try to help. We cannot say enough about how the neighborhood and city have taken us in. Fantastic people!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda - business as usual over there ;-) We are setup and getting ready to go pickup two grande cakes in a few minutes. I am already tired and the party hasn't started.

Anita says thanks for the b'day well wishes.

Oh well let the games begin - I bet Roy is getting ready for the Super Bowl!

TTL- John

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are being so accepted in the community. I'm sure the local people appreciate your attempts to speak Spanish even if it isn't perfect. Some things are hard to find. I remember trying to find curry paste for chicken curry - no way - next time I'll bring my own.