Friday, October 27, 2006

A Walk Down The Street

A Walk Down The Street
We went to Soriana this morning for a major grocery shopping expedition. It cost us around $33.00 for a lot of groceries. I then wandered across the street to the produce truck parked there to get my tomatoes and potatoes, as they are cheaper there than in the grocery store. Then walked a few feet down the road to a small nursery and managed to get a couple of trailing plants for the pots I want to hang on the outside wall. 2 smallish plants, for about $4.00. When we got home I cleaned and chopped up a bunch of veggies to make spaghetti sauce for supper. Digging through the cupboard for the spaghetti, I realised that I didn't have enough for supper, thought I had another full package but didn't. So, off to the mini market to get some. I remembered to take the camera with me to take some photos of the flowers on the plant that the man gave me a cutting from. The flowers are pretty beaten up looking from last nights wind and are faded as they are almost ready to fall off. They are brighter pink when they first open.
Flowers on the plant that I got the cutting from,may be a type of plumeria? Very aromatic.
Below is just a look that I like. The yellow on the right hand side, if you click on the photo to enlarge it, you will see that it is a butterfly having lunch.


Below: a couple of photos of the Hibiscus that I gathered some seeds from. You may remember from another post that I had one growing and killed it. Am now waiting to see if any of the next batch of seeds will grow.




4 comments:

mariemcc said...

The hibiscus is gorgeous! Your pink flowering cutting is something I don't recognize off the top of my head. Will dig into my gardening books that I never could part with even though I haven't had a garden since 1991 and see if I can find it.

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks Marie.

mcm said...

Hi Brenda -- I'm enjoying your blog
Your "big cutting" is definitely Plumeria rubra -- aka frangiapani, and also known here (in Yucatan) as Flor de mayo. In my experience, a very large branch will root quite quickly -- just stick it in the ground. Sometimes they'll lose their leaves, but will grow back quickly. I don't know what your climate/rainfall is like, but here, where we have a 6-8 month dry season, Plumeria rubra loses its leaves (the rather wierd looking branches give it the name "candlestick plant", in Australia, I've been told). There's another, native species, Plumeria alba, that is evergreen -- it has slightly smaller leaves that are rounded rather than pointed at the tips, and only white flowers. whew. Sorry for the long comment!

Brenda Maas said...

MCM--thanks so much for the information about the cutting. I did what the man said and put it in water for a couple of days and then planted it in soil. It looks really wilted and sad; but I'm hoping that it takes.
Our climate here is desert, although this year there has been a phenomenal amount of rainfall and everything is so green and nice.
bye for now. brenda