Saturday, October 21, 2006

The De-Forestation On Our Street

The De-Forestation On Our Street
Our street or at least across the street from us, looks totally different this afternoon than it did this morning. The lady across the road had some fellows come in to trim her trees. Trim is not the word to use and neither is prune. They actually had a power saw, along with the machetes. They filled the back of the 1/2 ton truck once and came back for more and when I say filled I mean filled. They stomped it down until it couldn't hold anymore and then added some more and tied it all down. I do realise that things grow much faster here and can get out of control but this is excessive in my mind. Perhaps because I have lived almost all of my life in a colder climate and spent an enormous amount of time persuading, cajoling and babying along trees to get them to grow, this is a heart breaking thing for me to watch. For me it is akin to standing by and watching someone get raped. I know that sounds like an over exaggeration; but that is how I felt as I stood and watched.


View of the house across the road, before the tree pruning.
Photo taken last winter (2005), notice that all you could see was the roof of the one house and really nothing of the other house beside it.


A photo of what it looks like now.

The chain saw is still running, the truck is almost full again and it looks like there could be another load laying on the ground. I realise that these are her trees and her property; but it still hurts to see those lovely trees all hacked up.
Ciro told me that this is the month for pruning trees and that now they will grow bushier rather than taller. I do understand the concept of pruning, just not on this grand a scale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like little boys with newly acquired haircuts - these things grow back in the wink of an eye - not to worry. Around here you can almost see the green rise ;-)

Juan Calypso