Monday, October 23, 2006

More About Today

More About Today
I was just going to add this to the bottom of this mornings post and then decided not to.
I put on a long sleeved shirt when I went to the store and got laughed at by the landlord and his family, who were sitting outside. I think Irene told me that I was going to have to get a heavy coat.
The pharmacy was out of my medication; but wrote it down on his "to order" list and told me he would have it tomorrow. I asked him if he could order 2 boxes so that I would have enough for a month, rather than just 2 weeks and he said sure.
The local tortilla place was closed, so I asked the mini market fellow about it. He laughed and told me that she doesn't want to work anymore, she has too much money. HA HA. He also showed me, when I asked, how to tell if an avocado is ripe enough to eat, as I wanted one ready for supper. As I was coming home, Nancy (landlords daughter in law) was coming down the street calling something about the bread man. I couldn't hear/understand her very well as there was a couple of trucks and a bus running and also lots of wind. I wasn't sure if she was asking me to stop him or if she was trying to tell me that this was the bread man that they had been telling me about previously. I walked around the corner and sure enough there he was, just down the street, with his push cart. He lives up the hill a couple of blocks from us (can't imagine pushing that cart up that hill, he is not a young man) and his wife does all the baking. Nancy and I both got some sweet concoctions, she was laughing because I got 2 of everything that I bought (uno por mi y uno por Roy). She told me that is was fattening (it's a little late to tell me that)!! As I continued on my way home another lady stopped me to ask if I had gotten my stuff from the bread man, I told her that yes, he was just around the corner, so she hightailed it after him. Apparently you have to catch him early as he sells out quick, as they are so good.
Dinner was very good, I meant to take a photo of it before we started eating; but forgot. We had coco shrimp, rice, avocado, tomato, tortillas with a little lime on the side (didn't bother making any salsa). We are full, fat and happy as I write this. It's a tough life!!

2 comments:

Gary said...

I wish we had a bread man here in Houston who would come around every day. We do have a Mexican girl in a three wheel bicycle cart who sells paletas.

I think I mentioned this before, but I want to say again how much I love your blog.

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks Gary, I appreciate the feedback. I also enjoy your blog.
Brenda