Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Delivery Right To Your Door

I have mentioned before about the trucks that come around selling things throughout the neighborhood. At different times of the year they have different things. It is easy to tell what is being harvested by what the trucks are bringing around.
Right now it is still oranges and also watermelon. The prices are reasonable (3 kilos of oranges for 10 pesos or about 6.6 pounds for less than $1.00), not sure what the watermelon is as we don't buy them. They are just way too big for the two of us to eat and I am not a big fan of it anyway. Also right now for the lenten season there are trucks out selling Capriotada, a wonderful bread pudding with nuts and dried fruits in it. It is very good, also very rich. Not something you want to eat if you are on a diet. Prices vary for this depending on what size of container you want to buy. Naturally all the normal vegetable, tamale, water, tortillas (both corn and flour), etc. trucks are still around also. Very handy service, right to your door by friendly salesmen.
Our landlords banana tree is just beginning to flower and the mangos are forming, so I guess it is spring.

14 comments:

Frankly Ronda said...

Wow - I would love to have trucks come by! We do not have anything like that where we live.

Brenda Maas said...

AMIM: We live in a totally mexican neighborhood which is probably the difference.

Steve Cotton said...

In Melaque, we regularly get vendors driving by wit the requisite loud speakers. Watermelon is one of my favorites.

Don't you think it is a bit odd that a rich dessert is standard fare for Lent? Ah, Mexico!

GlorV1 said...

Hi, hope all is okay. How great that you have service right to your door. Reminds me of the days when the bakery man would go by on his street ringing his bell and we'd run out there hoping he would take a penny or a nickel for a couple doughnuts. Most times he did. We do have a Mexican man who rides his ice cream bike and rings his bell to let us know he is coming by. Thx for sharing.

Brenda Maas said...

Steve: yes, with a desert like that you don't mind giving up things for Lent.
Glorv1: Things are fine. We also get the ice cream men and donut salesmen here, forgot about them lol. Makes life tasty and interesting.

Chrissy y Keith said...

I have 3 of our banana plants blooming right now in Scottsdale as well. I hope they make it.

Brenda Maas said...

Chrissy: I hope they do to. Good luck with them.

Calypso said...

Brenda we are getting 5 kilos for 10 pesos (actually slightly less) We also have home delivery for just about anything you need in life ;-)

Brenda Maas said...

Good deal. Gotta love it.

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

enjoyed the post! Our newest delivery truck now, here in Alamos, is the plant man. He comes every other day, the bed of the pick up loaded with gorgeous blooming plants, but my favorites are Salvadore the fishman and Yolanda, the fishwoman. They cart around coolers on dollies and both sell different types of fish and shellfish, all of it excellent!

Brenda Maas said...

Linda Lou: I wish we had a plant man that would be great.
The fish/shrimp guys here come around with a 5 gallon pail of fish or shrimp or both. I don't buy from them as I am never sure how long it has been in that pail in the heat and there is usually water in the pail also. I read that the longer the shrimp sit in water the more they lose their flavor. Not sure if that is true or not.
Anyway those guys make me worry about getting sick so I don't buy from them. Sometimes I am a chicken; but I am careful about where I get my shrimp from.

Islagringo said...

The vendors don't come down my street. I can hear them all around us but they never pass by. Too many gringos on this road. I was happy to read that you don't like watermelon! Neither B nor I have ever liked it and people act like we are nuts when we tell them.

Brenda Maas said...

Isla: that is too bad that you miss all the vendors. Your neighbors don't know what they are missing.
I have never liked watermelon even when I was a kid and like you guys everyone always thought I was crazy. Messy, mucky stuff.

Holly J. Wood said...

Hi Brenda! Thanks for the information about the website, it's funny to have our picture on there! We're doing well but we sure do miss it down there. I hope you're doing well, enjoy the sunshine for me! (We've had snow all weekend, wah!)