Thursday, September 06, 2007

More On Hurricane Henriette

More On Hurricane Henriette
Well, the storm is over and luckily there was little loss of life. Sadly there were 3 deaths I believe. One was a clammer who was swept out to sea (I think), one man was trying to do something to his roof and I think that the roof either collapsed or blew away and he fell and died instantly. Another man died of a heart attack attributed to the storm and there is one person in hospital in grave condition. My Spanish is not that good and the above I gleaned from the newspaper so it might not be totally accurate.
There are people without power and water; but our colonia seems to be in good shape. In other colonias there were some electric poles and trees that came down and also some homes lost their roofs.
According to the newspaper, by 8 PM last night we had had 120 millimeters of rain which is approximately 4.72 inches.
The newspaper says that Governor Bours has asked that the south part of the State of Sonora, that was affected by the hurricane be declared a disaster zone.
In Obregon/Cajeme there are 40 thousand people without electricity and other areas such as the municipality of Navajoa, Yavaros, Etchojoa, municipality of Alamos, Huatabampo all have damages to them. All in all it has created a mess for many people that will take some time to recover from.
I haven't been out to San Carlos; but from reading their bulletin boards/forums this morning there doesn't appear to be much damage. I have no idea how the boats fared in the Marina Seca so if anyone has information you can let me know. The links for the bulletin boards are on the side of the blog, there are some pictures and videos on them that you can go and look at if you are interested.
This video was taken yesterday at Charlys Rock in San Carlos at 11 AM, it got worse after that though.


We have gotten everything put back outside and things are pretty much back to normal for us, I wish it could be that easy for everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for information. I used to live in Guaymas (1993) & teach at the TEC -- so it was interesting to see information about this storm--we haven't been able to find anything in the news.

Anonymous said...

HI - finally got to viewing your pics and blog--great video! We sure don't need storms of any greater magnitude that this one!