Mothers Day and Baja
Thursday was Mothers Day in Mexico; although we waited and celebrated it on Sunday, old habits die hard. I spent most of the morning calling and talking to people. Calling landlines in Canada is easy from the computer and very cheap. The voice quality is very good and as my mother put it, it sounds like you are right here. It was nice to catch up on all the family news, I don't phone as often as I should and my excuse is, that with not having an actual telephone I just don't think of it, and I don't.
We later went out for dinner at La Barca and as usual it was very good. We both had the enchilada plate, and this time they were chicken. Sometimes they are beef, you never know and we never ask as it doesn't really matter to us. The usual refried beans and some salad rounded out the plate, with of course the usual coke to drink. The bill came to 100 pesos for our dinner, (about $10.00). After we finished eating we stopped at a store so that I could pick up a couple of things that I was needing yet for our trip to Baja.
We have been busy getting all our ducks in a row for Baja. We have all the bills paid up until the end of July and pretty much everything is ready. I did the laundry this morning and then packed my clothes, which wasn't a big deal as we are not taking much. The house that we are going to be housesitting at for the next 2 months is right on the beach of the Sea of Cortez, so we expect to be spending the majority of our time in shorts and bathing suits. We are taking all of our snorkeling stuff, so by the time you pack 2 pr. of fins, etc. you don't have much room to pack many clothes unless we want to drag a truck behind us.
We will be leaving Thursday morning on a bus south to Los Mochis and then will take the overnight ferry from Topolobampo over to La Paz where our housesit couple will pick us up Friday morning. We will then drive to their home in Las Barriles an hour or two south of La Paz. I doubt that we will get much sleep Thursday night, so I am sure that we will be tired the next day.
I intend to continue blogging and posting photos while we are gone, if the computer connections function. They have been having trouble the last while, both with their computer and their connection; but hopefully have it fixed now. If not there are internet cafes in the town, which is only 6 miles away. So for the next 2 months we will be the new parents of 4 cats, which will be nice, as I still miss my pets that had to be left in Canada.
2 comments:
Sounds like you had a great Mother's Day! If you didn't get a chance to, send your mom a great e-card from http://www.hipstercards.com/ even if you're a little late, it will be worth the wait!
I can't wait to hear about La Paz! Have a safe trip.
Post a Comment