Monday, May 07, 2007

1 Gone, 1 To Go

1 Gone, 1 To Go
When I looked at the hummingbirds nest later on yesterday, the one that had been standing on the edge of the nest was gone. The other one is still there, he is smaller and is not as robust looking as the other one. The runt of the family I guess.
This evening we looked out and Irene had the baby in her hand, trying to get him to eat out of the feeder, it wasn't working. She seems to think that the mom has quit feeding this one, since the other one left the nest. I went in the house and got a small dish and she tried to feed him from that. I noticed that he kept putting his head in the air and realised that he is used to being fed by his mother in this position. Irene then gave me the bird and she put a drop of sugar water on her finger in the air above him and he would sip from it. He ate quite a bit like this before she took him away. I think she put him back in the nest; but I am not sure after having all the human scent on him whether the mom will feed him or not if, she had been. Irene may have gotten herself a full time job.



1 comment:

Rusty in Miami said...

I know by experience that must Mama birds will not come back after the baby is touch by humans, but it is hart breaking not be able to help. I hope it works for you