Thursday, May 10, 2007

Fly, Fly Away

Fly, Fly Away
Yesterday when I looked at the hummingbirds nest, it was empty. We were gone all day on Tuesday so hadn't checked on it. When we saw Ciro later, we asked him if he knew anything about the missing baby. He got a big grin on his face and said that, yes he knew. I guess he had checked it out about 7 AM on Tuesday morning and the second baby was teetering on the edge of the nest. He went and called Irene and they stood and watched as he teetered on the edge and then after testing his wings, finally flew off. He said that the baby landed on a close tree and did a few short, test flights before winging away into the big world. So, in spite of or perhaps because of, a little human intervention he is on his own in the world now. We wish him luck. We have enjoyed watching him and his sibling hatch, grow and leave and hope they will survive. According to what I read online many of the babies do not make it through their first year. Here's hoping that "ours" beat the odds.

1 comment:

Marie McC said...

I love happy endings!