Monday, November 28, 2005

More Food

More Food
This morning it was very windy and rather cool, so I decided to bake cinnamon buns. They turned out fine; the brown sugar here is different but the taste was good nevertheless. I took a pan over to Irene and Ciro and explained what it was. We haven't seen cinnamon buns in any of the bakeries here. An hour or so later a knock on the door and there was Irene with my empty pan and a pot of soup. I had her write down the name of it for me. She called it "Caldo Largo- Mariscos Udrios", it was a fish stock soup with the whole fish (head and all), large shrimp, looked like some calamari, peppers, carrots. Very tasty. Looked for the word "udrios" in my dictionary and can't find it. Billie, if you read this, do you know what it means, or maybe Juan/Anita may know?
Sunday was Roys football day, so I decided to go and wander around uptown. I wanted to get a length of fleece for a couch blanket. Stopped in at a restaurant for a coke and the next thing I knew, someone was tapping me on the shoulder. It was the fellow and his wife that we had talked to about spanish lessons. The manner of greeting here is still new to me and it kind of surprised me to get a big hug and cheek kiss from Rosa, as we had only met twice before; but that is the way here. It turned out that the restaurant is partially owned by a fellow Canadian. The biggest coincidence is that he had also lived/worked in the town that I now live at; although it was many years ago. He remembered a few people that I mentioned. What a small world. The four of us had a nice visit before I returned to my shopping. I did find my fleece and at $3.69 per meter is quite a bargain compared to what I am used to paying.
I guess that I have become acclimatised here as today I have my sweater on, forecast said high of 25 C. today; but with this odd wind I am chilly. Looking at all the snow storms going on in the US makes me very glad to just be a bit chilly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda -
Maybe it is a seafood broth from the rios (rivers)?

Billie Mercer said...

Brenda, don't know the word udrios but the soup sounds delicious. There is a place just down the street from us that makes a great seafood soup. Ned loves it.
BTW, people in Casa Mercer love cinnamon buns. Send some over please. Sounds like you have the cooking thing worked out if you are baking.
Billie