The Bus System Here
Yesterdays photos are here: http://community.webshots.com/user/brendamaa1
Here I am again, with nothing major to write. Last evening Roy went to get milk from one of the neighberhood groceries that we frequent. He was concerned before he left that all he had was a 200 peso bill, (like a $20.00), and they don't always have that much change. Here a 200 peso bill is a big bill. Well, he was right they didn't have change; but home he came with the milk anyway. The owner just waved him off with a "manana". The wonders of trust in a mexican neighborhood, no matter how long I have lived anywhere in Canada I have never had that happen to me there.
After chatting over MSN with a neice I thought maybe I should expand on the bus system here. We pay about 40 cents to go anywhere in the city, she said she pays $2.10 for the same service where she is in Canada. To be honest,I would rather ride the buses here, it is more fun. The buses don't seem to have a discernible schedule, they just come along every couple of minutes. The longest I have waited for a bus is 10 minutes and that is only because I was too lazy to walk a couple of extra blocks, so waited for exactly the right one. The buses themselves are very interesting. The driver may have decorated it in his own style: stickers, photos, cloth with tassles covering half of the windshield, etc., he may have his cooler beside him with his cold drinks for the day and his lunch. He may give samples of his lunch to some of his friends when they get on the bus and he may also be smoking while he is driving and passengers will occasionally give him fruit or food as they get on the bus. He is constantly watching the road, the passengers and the ditches for goats, etc. ( on the country runs ). It is a job that takes much concentration and yet they appear as if they are just going for a calm ride. The buses themselves come in various shapes and forms. Most of them all schoolbuses; but some are new and some are very old. We have seen some with windshields so cracked that I have no idea how they can see anything, have seen some with a window broken, doors that flop open on the bottom and close at the top. The dust bounces from the upholstry on some and others are brand new and much better than city buses anywhere in the world. You just never know which one will come up the street next but it is always an interesting and fun experience and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Well, got to go and catch a bus, bye for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment