I am still not really happy with the face as I think the dark shading on the left side of the mouth makes it appear as if the mouth is pulled over to that side, kind of like a stroke victim. I had had less shading on that area but the teacher made me add more, so I suppose he knows best.
Anyway it is finished.
Next week we begin to work with pastels, a medium I have never tried before either. I have used oils, acrylics, water colour and water colour pencils; but never pastels, so should be fun. We are supposed to bring a photo of a still life with vases, jars, and a variety of fruits in it so that we can work on lots of textures, shading, etc.. Sounds like lots of work and fun to come.
![]() |
| My first attempt at a face. |
The Casa de la Cultura is getting ready to have the Festival de las Calacas this weekend for the Day of the Dead. The building was abuzz with activity last night and it should be a fun weekend. Music, calacas, food, altars, etc. will all be set up in the Plaza de la Pistola and adjoining streets.

13 comments:
Fabulous!! I can barely draw stick people. The shading is nice but I agree that doing it on one side makes her look lopsided. What if you shaded the other side? Might make the centre of her lips come forward, giving them a more 3D effect. Maybe?
Outstanding Brenda! The shading is so much better than I can do, that's for sure. I still haven't gotten that down. She's beautiful. You really outdid yourself and if you said this is a first attempt at faces, well then Shine on girl, you rock. I love it. Thanks for sharing. Have a great rest of the day.
She is very lovely! And what's her name?? For someone who hasn't been interested in drawing faces I hope you are satisfied with her and that you'll do more. Nice job, Brenda!
Barb: thank you. As the other side is closer to the light source it is not supposed to be shaded, or so the teacher said.
Anyway he spray varnished it last night so no more changes lol. I think he was afraid I would go home and erase her lol. I am pretty good with the eraser.
Gloria: Thanks so much. Yes, this was my first ever attempt at a face. The teacher is really good and very, very patient. Hope you are feeling better, have a good week.
Mike & Cynthia: Thank you. Actually I am never really happy with anything that I do, maybe too critical; but it never comes out on paper as I see it in my mind.
Name??? Hmmmm never even thought of naming her. Will have to ponder that one.
I think you did a very good drawing, I really like the hair and the shading on the chin. You're inspiring me, amiga. Are you going to use chalk pastels or oil pastels? Chalk are easier to blend, but oil are more intense, like crayon. It's my favorite medium.
Very good first project Brenda - I suspect there is some here-to-fore unnoticed artistic talent in you ;-)
Nice drawing. But the best part of your story is that underlying desire to learn more, to experience new adventures. If more people could adopt that spirit, we could keep our minds a lot fresher. Or, maybe it is the reverse. Fresh minds seek new things. Whichever way it is, you are to be commended.
1st Mate: Thanks. I think they are chalk pastels by the way they feel. It doesn't say on the box. This is the only kind the stores had here so..... Anyway when I showed the teacher he said that yes, they were the right ones so I am good to go I guess. Have never used pastels before so will be interesting.
Calypso: Thank you, talent... not too much unfortunately.
Steve: Thanks for the kind words. It is fun and interesting to learn new things.
So many things to do, so little time. How did I ever find time to work???
Brenda you are an amazing woman. You probably have a lot more talent than you realize. You are certainly a lot better in the art department than I am. Keep at it. I am sure that we are all anxious to see what comes next :)
Bob: Thank you so much.
I have seen some of the sketches that you had on your blog Bob and I couldn't even think of doing anything that involved. I thought they were great!
I am anxious to see what comes next also lol. Monday class is cancelled because of Dia de los Muertos so have to wait til Wednesday to see what he has up his sleeve for us. I do know one thing and that is that the box of pastels is going to see light before Wednesday, I am like a kid with a new toy when I get new art supplies lol.
So many lovely compliments from everyone, I thank you all for being so non-critical.
Brenda, I love it! You are so shy about your talent, but you obviously are quite good.
I love your drawing and think you should do one of Roy next.
Nancy: thank you so much.
I think Roy is living in fear of your suggestion ja ja ja.
Brenda, Great job.
Faces are one of the hardest things to do.
I suggest doing many many very quick sketches (like no more than 10 seconds)to capture a gesture. Don't worry about any of the details like lips and eyelashes— just get the gesture. Then when you have a sketch you like, you can add the details later.
Post a Comment