- 3 cups water (lukewarm)
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons "instant" yeast (fast rise)
- 2 eggs
- enough flour to make a workable dough (7-8 cups)
Mix yeast and 4 cups of flour. In a separate bowl whip eggs, sugar, oil and water. Add yeast/flour mixture and blend well; add remaining flour and salt.
The recipe doesn't say this; but I knead it until the dough is nice and smooth and feels ready, (you will know when it gets there).
Let rise for 15 minutes. Punch down, do not knead. Let rise for another 15 minutes, punch down and form into either bread or buns, put into greased pans. Let rise for 1 hour.
Bake in a 350° F. oven for 15-18 minutes for buns, longer for bread.
This will make about 4 to 5 dozen buns depending of course on how big you make them or 2 to 3 loaves of bread.
Remove from oven and enjoy with fresh butter. Yummy.
5 comments:
Do you think it will work with "traditional" yeast? I have Fleischmann brand and have been thinking about trying to make some bread. I'll try your recipe and let you know how it goes.
Manolo, to use this recipe and traditional yeast you will need to make certain modifications.
1. You will need to use approximately 25% more yeast.
2. You cannot just mix the traditional yeast in with the flour. You need to put it in about 1/4 cup of warm water and 1 teaspoon of sugar and let it dissolve for about 5 or 10 minutes (until bubbly), then you can mix it into the wet ingredients and then add the dry ingredients.
3. The rising times will be very different. I can't give you the exact times for rising; but a good rule of thumb is to let the dough rise until almost double before punching it down.
Instead of trying to modify this recipe, you might be better off just doing a search online for a recipe using "traditional" yeast. Then you would have better directions than mine and it might give you better results.
Hope this helps.
Hi Brenda - sorry to hear you have not been feeling well. And the pics of your bread made me soooo hungry! We gave our "bread making machine" to our middle son...so if we make bread in Mexico it will be the "hard" way - such as yours. Thanks for the recipe and we hope you feel better soon!
I glad to see you are feeling better, I had the same cold two weeks ago and I was out for a week
Muchisimas gracias Brenda, I'm looking forward to giving this a try.
Post a Comment