Winter in Guaymas
Well, I guess you can say it is winter here in Guaymas. This morning the landlords son went outside in his heavy sweatshirt to start the car. He then retreated back into the house for 5 minutes or so before coming back out and driving away to work. Roy and I just looked at each other and laughed. He must have decided it was cold enough that he needed to warm up the car. Now just in case you are interested the low was forecast for 12 C. (plus of course). It seemed funny to us, as some of our summertime lows at night are cooler than this. Highs for this week are 23-24 C. and lows 12-13 C. Not bad for mid-december.
I got most of the weeks groceries and some stuff that will last us longer than a week and the cost was under $25.00, it still amazes me to go uptown with a $200 pesos bill and come home with change. At home you wouldn't even think about going uptown with $20.00 unless you just wanted a coke, but for sure not to buy groceries. I didn't get any fresh tortillas as the ladies were behind in production and there was 1 man waiting in line before me. Oh well, just a change in the suppper menu and will stop there today on our way home from wherever we end up. By the way, we pay $10 pesos here for 15 tortillas (good size ones). Billie and John, what is the cost in your areas? Had a funny conversation with lady at the mini market yesterday. The coke wouldn't scan in their machine, so she laughed and said it must be free today. I laughed and told her that free is good. She wanted to know how to say "free" in english, and when I told her, she asked me to write it down for her. I wrote it down for her along with the spanish word and she was happy. I wonder who she will use her new word on? She is loosening up more all the time, at first she would just smile and not attempt too many words with us, as she knew our spanish was horrible. I think that after watching her husband joke with us and test us to see if we have learned any new words, she is beginning to feel more comfortable now. It is nice.
It is a big holiday here, Virgen of Guadalupe. Watched a big show on TV last night from the Basillica in Mexico City. Lots of singing, processions, etc., beautiful ceremony. There are lots of red, green and white streamers and paper cutouts hung all over.
1 comment:
Brenda, Ned gave up on telling them he only wanted 1/4 kilo of tortillas. I don't think it was the Spanish as much as they couldn't believe that any one would not buy a kilo. So now he just puts down 2 pesos and takes what they give him....probably 10 tortillas.
Post a Comment