Well it is that time of the month, the bills are due and paid. Errands are run and all is calm on the home front. December waits in the wings, with all its excitement and parties.
It is also the time of the year that there is more local fresh fruit on the scene. The 1/2 ton trucks with their boxes full of fruit are going through the neighbourhoods selling Cantaloupes - 3 for 10 pesos, (about .81 cents) and also watermelons. The watermelons are also 10 pesos; but you only get one for that price.
The guys who wait at the traffic lights are selling the same things. I loved when it was strawberry season, I enjoyed sitting at the red lights then. Yum. In a couple of weeks the lady at the mercado en centro will have her sweet corn for sale and I will be a frequent visitor to her stall. I stopped and chatted with her last week and she just smiled when she saw me coming. She knows what my favorite thing is at her stall.
The Christmas season is also gearing up, I noticed today that the trees, a lot of them have white painted trunks, are all wrapped with red ribbons and are looking festive. The stores downtown are devoting their window displays to whatever they are hawking for the season. People are beginning to make pinatas for the posadas at the beginning of the month.
I forgot to look downtown yesterday to see if the street decorations are up; but if they aren't they will be soon. I did notice that the street venders are getting thicker in centro and have more gifty type items for sale, along with the usual hats, scarves, and mittens.
As for me, I am very happy that the palm trees are not covered with snow and though a bit chilly, (26/27 C.), it is not cold and nasty. The socks, blue jeans, jackets and closed toe shoes have come out of their summer hiding places; but the sun shines brightly in the blue sky and life is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
My favorite fruit that shows up in abundance here this time of year is tangerines -- or as the Mexicans call them, mandarinas.
Felipe, I forgot about the oranges, so far it has only been the regular ones here; but I'm sure the mandarinas can't be far behind. We have a couple of orchards right outside of town. They, of course are also 10 pesos; although once the season is in full swing I think you get 3 kilos for 10 pesos, if I remember correctly.
I have been thinking about the adjectives we use when describing the weather. I was in a shop here in Bend describing the glorious weather here. The clerk was shocked when I told her I was from Mexico. To her, Mexico has glorious weather. Maybe it is variety that we crave. I doubt I would enjoy Bend's winter weather after a month of it.
Steve, I am not a fan of the very cool weather you seem to enjoy.
Each year we seem to have acclimatized more and each year the winter feels colder to us. My dentist told me this morning the forecast is for a colder winter this year than last year. Who knows?
First Mate, I have been getting sweet corn from this lady for 4 or 5 years now. She is one of the ladies that sits outside the mercado en centro. People call them the Yaquis; but apparently they are not. The cobs are usually about 6 or 7 inches long and it is not bad. Not as big as the cobs up north or quite as sweet; but then I am sure the weather affects that. She sells 4 or 5 or 6 cobs in a bag, (depending on size) for 10 pesos. Cheaper I am sure than WillYums. Taste comparison with his I have no idea as I have never purchased his. You will have to try it and let me know how it compares.
Hers will be ready around mid December usually; but I always check in with her early so that she knows I am looking for it.
Hi!
My name is Amy and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for posts about La Paz to share on our travel site and I came across your blog...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at amy(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Amy
Great blogs Brenda, the [good] melons have been gone from No.Calif for a month or more. Sounds good and i do enjoy the less sweet corn more than the sugar packed variety. I did have a great tamale that the youth group was selling after mass here in Napa!
Thanks Doug. The orange & grapefruit trucks have started now and the melon trucks are not in the our neighbourhood anymore. They are still being sold at the traffic lights though.
I am not a real huge fan of tamales, I will eat them; but not hunt them down lol.
Post a Comment