We walked around a bit and did just that.
I should have put the map of Sonora on the first posting so that you could see where we went, I didn't think of it, so here it is now.
We left from Guaymas on Highway 15 heading north to our state capitol of Hermosillo.
From there we took Highway 14 or 17 depending on what map you look at and headed northeast to Ures and Mazocahui.
At Mazocahui we turned north to Baviacora and then Aconchi.
We could have continued up this road to Cananea and then done a big loop back down to Hermosillo and home; but didn't feel like doing that this time, so we didn't.
The Welcome sign at Baviacora states that it was founded in 1639. The church is really something to see on the outside, it was locked up so I didn't get to see the inside of it.

2 comments:
Nice video, church architecture looks a little different, possible some Moorish influence?
Hi Tancho, not sure about the influences on the church; but it does have some different characteristics.
On the sign it said that it was founded by the Jesuits, the founder being Bartolome Castanos. I haven't looked him up at all though.
These towns we visited are on the "Ruta Rio de Sonora" and nearby there is another highway known as the "Ruta Misions de Sonora".
The Jesuits were in Sonora a lot, the most well known one being Padre Kino.
Post a Comment