Saturday, October 29, 2011

Festival de las Calacas 2011

This afternoon we went downtown to the Festival de las Calacas which they have every year on the weekend closest to the Dia de los Muertos. It was again held at La Plaza de la Pistola, which is a block north of Serdan at around 21 st. Street.

It was supposed to have started last night; but this afternoon there were still people setting up their altars. Every year they have a competition for the schools and choose which school has the best altar.

I was kind of disappointed with it this year, it seemed like there was a lot less stuff going on than other years, unless things start to hop later this evening. Too bad if this festival fades out, it is a lot of work for the people involved; but is also a nice event for the spectators to view.

Here are some photos of the Calacas and some of the altars.  As usual you can click on the photos to make them larger.




























































Shoe shine anyone?














How romantic !














Another part of the festival is an art exhibition.  The class I am in at the Casa de la Cultura, has our paintings on display that we have finished so far in this class, (September and October).  Some of the paintings are in oils and some are pastels.  There are other paintings also from other classes and others that I am not sure where or whom they are from.  They are displayed in one of the buildings at the Plaza de la Pistola.

Here is a sampling of the art displayed.

























































































5 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Oh very nice Brenda! I really enjoyed looking at the photos. Modesto is lacking in the celebration and more people are needed to participate. We'll be having our own on the 1st and 2nd and then the junior college is holding an event on the 2nd. I'll go and take pix of that too. Thanks for sharing all the photos. Take care.

Brenda Maas said...

Hi Gloria, I guess every place has trouble getting people to participate in things, everyone is so busy.
I too have been lazy about blogging and commenting/visiting peoples blogs; but hope to get back into it soon.
Take care and I can't wait to see the pictures you take of the festival there.

Anonymous said...

great pix brenda and amazing art work. the one of the violin looks so real-more like a picture.

what does calaca mean? must not be in my cuban spanish because i've never heard it before.

happy halloween y feliz dia de los muertos!

teresa en nagoya
cynthia's friend)

Brenda Maas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda Maas said...

Hi Teresa, hope things are going well for you in Japon.

Calaca is used here during the festival, and kind of means the skeletons, skulls, etc. for the day of the dead.
The "official" meaning from this site:
http://www.academia.org.mx/dicmex.php

is this:

calaca. f. 1. Calavera (huesos de la cabeza). || 2. La muerte

Yes, the artwork is great and I love the violin also, the man who did it, is just a beginner. The "Justin Bieber" one was one by a little girl about 7 or 8 years old.