Monday, March 16, 2009

Surprise Finds

There are some foodstuffs from NOB (north of the border), that you just don't find here. So when you do find something from your old life, it is a pleasant surprise.

Last week I found 2 places in town that carry Mozzarella cheese. We like the Mexican cheeses fine; but the ones that we get here just do not seem to melt that well. It is nice to have found mozzarella for when I make pizza.

Then a couple of days ago my landlady came up with some baking that used puff pastry. I have never seen puff pastry here so naturally asked her for the recipe. She laughed and said that she does have a recipe for it somewhere; but that she had bought this prepared. Even better. She told me where to get it and then later came up with hers and gave me some. What a nice lady!! So I now have some puff pastry in the freezer and know where to get more.

Yesterday we went out for a late breakfast with a friend and as the restaurant that we were going to go to was closed, we tried one that neither of us had been to before. They had an omelet on the menu with sun dried tomatoes in it, along with fresh mushrooms. All three of us opted for it and it was good. I have never seen sun dried tomatoes either in the stores here or on a menu in any of the restaurants; but then we don't frequent the fancier places over in San Carlos, so they might be available on menus there. Anyway the omelets were tasty.

I guess the lesson here is that you just never know when/where you will find something different or from your past, so always keep your eyes open.

11 comments:

Islagringo said...

The other lesson is buy it when you see it. It probably won't be there the next time!

Brenda Maas said...

Islagringo: for sure, learned that lesson long time ago. Never expect to find the same thing twice lol.

GlorV1 said...

I always try to buy two.I found a pair of shoes once that were so comfortable, I just love them. I went to get another pair and they were no longer carrying them. So now when I see a pair of shoes I know I'm going to love, I buy two pair and they'll last me forever, like the ones I have now. I mostly wear Converse, but these other shoes are loafers, and very comfortable. Take care.

Esther said...

you can get these stuff in hermosillo right? there's a costco and walmart and all sorts of specialty stores there and its only like an hour drive.. i mean is not like you can go every week but at least once a month... easier than going to canada lol :P

Brenda Maas said...

Glorv1: yes, buying 2 when you find something you like is always a good idea.
Esther: I suppose that Hermosillo does have all these things and more; but we never go there to shop.

Esther said...

i found your blog while searching stuff on san carlos, im gong in like 2 weeks it's cool to see you like living there :) Im from sonora and i love it there but now i live in baja. Greetings and keep up the blog!

Brenda Maas said...

Esther: Hi and Welcome.
We love living in Guaymas.
I hope you enjoy your visit in San Carlos.
Where are you from in Sonora?

Esther said...

I was born and raised in Hermosillo but I moved to ensenada about 4 years ago and haven't been back since! I am really excited about going back to my hometown and visiting San Carlos, i used to spend my summers between there and Kino so I guess there'll be lots of great memories and warm weather. It's still kindda chilly here so i'm looking forward to the sun!

Brenda Maas said...

Esther, sounds like you are going to have a great time.
It was 27 C. here today, how does that compare to Ensenada?

Esther said...

Today we had a warm day, it got to 25c at noon, it drops dramatically to 10 or so once the sun is gone, the wind is cool during the day and somewhat cold at night. And because we are in the pacific, the water is freeeezing! so there's no beach going til late june at least.

Brenda Maas said...

You get quite a bit cooler at night than we are getting. Right now it is going down to about 16 C. during the night.
It will be warmer by the time you come. People will be swimming during Semana Santa, which is probably when you are coming. It is still too cold for me to get in the water; but am acclimitised now. I am still wearing my jeans; but the tourists wear shorts all winter long, they think it is warmer than we do that live here all year long.
Buen viaje.