Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Guess What We Did

We have been wanting to explore more around the countryside and previously always used the really good bus system.  Some of the places we want to visit either do not have very convenient bus service or once you get there you need transportation, as some sites are outside the town by a few kilometers.

We talked a bit about renting a car for these trips and then broke down and went looking at new little cars.  Once we saw the trunk capacity on those, we dropped that idea.  We like to camp, which entails taking a certain amount of stuff with you and those little cars would just not do it.

We returned home and rethought our plans and decided to look for something a bit bigger and a few years older.  Off we went again to check out some cars.

We looked at a variety of brands, etc. and ended up buying a 2008 Chev. Optra LS.  It "appears" to be in fairly good condition; but who knows, used is used, you get what you get.

Anyway after a few hours of trying to figure out the fastest way to get some money down here and a few hours of getting the paper work done, buying insurance, etc. we are now the owners of the car below.  Wish us luck with it.




12 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Congratulations! I am amazed how long my Escape has lasted. It would be perfect for camping.

Brenda Maas said...

Steve, yes I agree that an Escape would be perfect for camping; but we also wanted something smaller for in town.
Have a nice evening.

Leslie Harris said...

Congratulations on the "new" car! Can't wait to read about the adventures you'll have in the new car. :)

Calypso said...

Our primary transportation is a scooter - however we bought a nearly new 2008 Jetta a couple years ago - a Mexican Jetta. Do not regret it. I'm sure it will be fun - enjoy!

Brenda Maas said...

Leslie, thanks. Hopefully the adventures will be fun and not adventures with a mechanic lol.

Calypso: Roy has been looking at the scooters for a few years too; but always held back on getting one mainly because you still need a car when you have one of them and also because I refuse to drive one lol. I read of too many people getting hit in traffic here. He had a motorcycle back in Canada; but for our needs now they are just not what we need.
Should be fun.

Tancho said...

Nice wheeles, hope you cram the trunk with camping gear and check out the land. we usually will go one at least one trip a year.

Brenda Maas said...

Tancho, we normally travel pretty light; except for the camping gear so I think we should have lots of room.
Lots of things still to explore in our own state never mind the rest of the country.
Looking forward to it.

Shannon said...

Congratulations Brenda! Having a car affords you so much more freedom. Amazingly our old Ford Escape is still going. It has taken us from Canada to Mexico and covered a lot of territory in Mexico. Happy travels!

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks Shannon. Should be fun.

Anonymous said...

That's a great car. It was designed and built by Daewoo Korea for General Motors, and sold in Canada and Mexico as a Chevy, and the rest of the world as a Daewoo.The have made "zillions" of them.

Hope it runs well for you...
acheapguy

diverdoug said...

Wow! You and Roy are now fully-functioning Guaymanians! I hope you're having as much fun as I have had downtown Guaymas. It was a challenge to adapt to the rules of the road at first.
I got a few blogs behind and was trying to figure out how you guys 'drove' to San Carlos & beaches before I read the car news.
Also, Edna & Claudia are now US permanent residents! The San Francisco US embassy officer we had was just great, no hassles at all.
Your blogs are great Brenda!
Thanks,
Doug Siner

Brenda Maas said...

Hi Doug, thanks. I answered your email, hope you got it.