Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Dove of Peace

I mentioned that we had seen something new, to us anyway, on the malecon the other night.
It is a dove of peace, which in itself is nothing unusual.  What is unusual is what it is made of.  The head of the dove is made up of small plastic soldiers, the body and wings consist of toy guns of all types and the tail is made up of toy swords.
There is a sign beside it to explain the sculpture.
Very interesting and very timely.

















5 comments:

breez said...

Wow.
That is really cool.

breez said...

Have you seen Chicano artist Leo Tanguma's murals for the Denver airport.

They are anti war but sort of creepy too. Some have now been painted over:

http://www.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1548&bih=989&q=denver+airport+murals&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Brenda Maas said...

Hi breez: The building that the art was in is a lovely one I agree. There are many like that.
Thanks for the ideas/tips on sketching.
I haven't seen Leo Tangumas work but will go and have a look, thanks for the link.

1st Mate said...

So THAT's what I saw last night; we were driving and no place to park so I didn't get a good look. It's wonderful!

Brenda Maas said...

1ST Mate: yes, it sure makes a very loud statement in its own quiet way.
We have looked at it twice now and both times all of the people looking at it were very quiet and most were quite solemn. Quite a few were taking pictures; but the area was an oasis of quiet on the otherwise buzzing malecon.
Very thought provoking and certainly seems to have an impact on people, us included. I felt very sad as we stood and quietly looked at it. A sad commentary on the state of Mexico and the world.