Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chalk Pastels

Last night at art class I finished my first ever attempt at using chalk pastels.  It is a different medium for me and is interesting to see how it works.  I like it so far.  I am going to attempt something more difficult for my next one and see how it goes.
Anyway here is the final result.

First attempt at chalk pastels. November 2010.

11 comments:

GlorV1 said...

I love it Brenda. Make some prints and I'll buy one from you. Awesome. Just popped in to say to you and your HAPPY THANKSGIVING ahead of time and enjoy/take care. I love your chalk pastel painting and the chili is so real, makes me want to take a bite.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

I also love it! I think the contrast of the brightly colored veggies against the brown vase works well. Good job!

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks you guys, boy you sure know how to make someone feel good.
Hope you both have a great Thanksgiving Day and enjoy your turkey dinners. Canadian Thanksgiving was in October so we are done with the day for this year; but choose to be thankful for all we have everyday. We are so lucky.

Leslie Harris said...

I love it too! I wish we lived closer to each other so you could do a painting for my dining room! :)

Brenda Maas said...

Thank you Leslie. I think a dining room painting is quite a bit beyond my abilities at the moment lol; but thanks for the good thoughts.
Yes, too bad we are so far apart, would be nice to meet.

Tancho said...

Nice work, I always envy people that can take either a brush,crayon, charcoal or chalk and make motions on a paper that others can immediately see objects, people and pictures....
I for one, can take a pencil, try and draw a circle and it turns out a wavy line.....
Keep it up!

Brenda Maas said...

Tancho: thank you. I have always been interested in drawing, painting, etc.; but have never before been able to take lessons.
When I went to school we didn't have an "art" class where we learned anything useful as the kids are lucky enough to have now, so I am a very, very beginner.
It is definitely enjoyable though and intend to keep trying. Naturally a good, patient teacher helps a lot as well as a small class setting. This teacher is an engineer for Pemex during the day and teaches at the Casa de la Cultura in the evenings. He studied at the Tech de Monterrey I think he said and can make things have a whole new dimension with only a couple of strokes. I can only wish I had his abilities.

Barb said...

Wow. I'm impressed, Brenda. I can barely draw stick people.

breez said...

nice.
very nice.
you are an artist.

Steve Cotton said...

Great chalk work. Thank you for sharing your work with us. I have always admired artists who put themselves on the line with their work. Thanks for sharing each step in your artistic growth.

Brenda Maas said...

Barb and Breez: thanks so much.
Steve: Thank you also. Yes, it takes a lot of "huevos" to put my stuff on here for public scrutiny. It is a big step for me as I always hate to be in the spotlight, I like to fade into the background. So, posting my paintings is a major thing for me.

Thanks for reading all of you.