We saw lots of these signs, some of them with the word, "sinuoso" (sinuous) on them
I didn't realize until later that I hadn't taken even 1 photo of the horrible road. I had put the camera in the case to keep it from flying around and most of the time I was hanging on to keep from bouncing around. Now I wish I would have taken some.
I knew from searching online that there were hot water pools around Arivechi and we had packed our bathing suits intending to go to them. When we saw the sign that said 8 kms. to the pools and looked at the gravel road that was even worse than what we had just gone through, we decided we were just not going there.
We were very glad to finally see Arivechi.
This was the town I was looking forward to seeing the most as I had seen photos online of the kiosko in the plaza.
We did our usual drive around to find the church and plaza and were even more impressed than I expected. Beautiful.
We chatted with a lady while we were sitting in the plaza and she told us that the lady busy cleaning the plaza has a son who is working for 8 months in Canada. She also told us there was a petrified stone by the City Hall. We walked over to see that and I won't say what I think it looks like. :)
| Petrified stone |
Click on the photos to see them larger or Control + click to see them really big. :)
We also saw these usual blooms on a tree there. At first I thought they were just leaves; but the leaves were a very different shape and colour.
| Odd flowers. |
The plaza is really pretty with a fountain and benches in the shade of the trees.
I took a lot of photos of the kiosk as it is just so unusual. The town is named Arivechi in honour of Arivechi San Javier, who had the kiosk built as a replica of the kiosk in the plaza Santa Maria Rivera in Mexico City or so I read anyway.
This was the last town on the road before Yecora where we were going to spend the night. So, back onto the horrible highway and onward we went.


7 comments:
It is truly amazing and wonderful, the little gems that are hidden away around Mexico. Thank you for sharing them with us! And I well remember driving roads like you describe. Not fun at all.
Yes Isla, you never know what you will see around the next corner.
The road was horrendous to say the least and I grew up in the countryside. I think that it was the absolute worst road I have ever been on.
It is a shame that more people don't travel around the northern areas of Sonora/ Mexico. Most of the travel type forums advise that there is nothing to see there and it is best to fly over Sonora as fast as possible. Oh well, their loss is our gain. We get to see things without all the hype that more tourists bring with them.
When you said you were looking forward to the kiosko on the plaza, I thought you were looking forward to a good cup of coffee.
What a great little gem -- and nicely-done photographs. Thanks for putting up with the condition of the road to share it with us.
Thanks Steve, this kiosk or bandstand was kind of my light at the end of the tunnel lol. I had seen photos of it online and couldn't wait to see it in person. Absolutely beautiful, a true work of art. I don't know how it is made for sure; but it looks carved. If it is I can't imagine the hours that went into it.
hanks Steve, this kiosk or bandstand was kind of my light at the end of the tunnel lol. I had seen hanks Steve, this kiosk or bandstand was kind of my light at the end of the tunnel lol. I had seen photos of it online and couldn't wait to see it in person. Absolutely beautiful, a true work of art. I don't know how it is made for sure; but it looks carved. If it is I can't imagine the hours that went into it.photos of it online and couldn't wait to see it in person. Absolutely beautiful, a true work of art. I don't know how it is made for sure; but it looks carved. If it is I can't imagine the hours that went into it.
Hi Brenda, really unique photos. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/
Hi Chris, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I enjoyed reading some of your blog posts and will be following you also.
You might be interested in reading my art blog, the link is at the top right hand side of this blog.
Post a Comment