This year they held his birthday party at the Hacienda Monarca. It used to be a working ranch; but now is inside the city area. It is a lovely building and a great place for a birthday party. We had been there once before for a Quincenara; but that was in the evening and we couldn't see much of the views in the dark. It is laid out with the main floor and then there is a long curving ramp; instead of stairs, to the second floor, where they have a bar and hold other types of events. Spaced along the ramp there are several alcoves with benches in so you can sit and visit. On the second floor there is a huge patio and then the option of heading up other sets of stairs to go to several other, what would be 3 rd floor, patios. Great views to be had of the surrounding area. It must have been a grand place to live at one time and in the surrounding yards there are still 3 or perhaps more homes lived in by people, not sure if they are lived in by the original family or by other people; but I think family. The Hacienda main building has no living quarters in it now.
They had rented the pool area of the ground floor for the birthday party. The pool is set out very well for children as one end gently slopes for quite a ways so the wee ones can play and the it gets a bit deeper in the middle for say the 7 to 9 yrs. old group and then deeper yet at the far end for the older ones.
It was, of course, very hot and humid and the kids jumped in the pool and only got out long enough for drinks and food. They had a lovely time.
We adults also had a good time sitting at tables with shade umbrellas for the most part, lots of snacks and drinks and a dinner of tamales and beans, with cake to follow.
Great time was had by all.
Lots of metal sculptures around the yard. There was one group of
This guy is made of wood.

7 comments:
That sounds like a great party, and what an amazing place!
Hi Shannon, yes it was fun. We have been around here long enough that we at least recognize most of the family members, friends, etc.; although I still cannot remember everyone's name, I am really bad with names.
I love that place, it is beautiful and the views from it are great too.
I always wonder what life was like years ago in such a place.
hi brenda,
it definitely is a beautiful place! that pool looks so inviting-makes me feel like going swimming. glad everyone had such a great time.
do you still keep in touch with cynthia? we had breakfast with her last month when my husband and i went back to the states for our home leave. she looks good and is very happy with her job.
take care,
teresa in nagoya
fun photos Brenda - lovely - thank you.
Hi Teresa, glad to hear Cynthia and Mike are doing well. I haven't heard from her for a while now, couple of months maybe. Emails are few and far between. Their lives kind of took a different path and since she quit blogging I have gotten lazy about keeping in touch.
Thanks Calypso.
Have a good day. I am off to a baby shower tonight.
Love the Adobe style of houses , almost looks like Santa Fe?
Looks like it was a fun time for all!
Tancho. I love that style also. The place is built the same way that most are here. Walls of bricks and then covered over with a layer of fine concrete, then painted. Most are not in this style here though, love the lines of the building.
Personally I preferred Old Town Albuquerque to Santa Fe, enjoyed the vibe there more.
I had been to those places before coming to Mexico and expected the houses here to look like the old ones in those places, well, here the majority of them do not.
The albanils can do anything that the architect dreams up, they are true artists.
Post a Comment