Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day To Day Stuff

Seeing as we are pretty boring people there is nothing too exciting going on with us right now, so if you are looking for excitement here, sorry, not going to happen.  We live a pretty relaxed, normal (for us) life.
Some new things going on in the city.  Sams Club opened a few weeks ago.  I didn't buy a membership when they were selling them before the store opened.  I have a deep aversion to paying a store to shop there and then paying for the products on top of that.  Anyway, I headed over there one day and just walked into the store like I belonged there and no one asked me about my membership card lol.  I wandered the whole store and didn't see anything in a size that we would buy or at prices that were worth the initial cost of the membership card.  OK, been there, done that.
Walmart opened its doors yesterday so I went to check it out with the landlady and her sister.  We found some bargains and as we all know our prices, ( more or less), for our normal purchases we did a lot of price checking.  They had some good opening specials; whether these prices will continue or not who knows?
My best priced specials I think were the bags of flour at 2 for 10 pesos and blank CDs at 4 for 10 pesos.  See, I warned you, no excitement here lol.
The store was packed with people and the employees were being very helpful.  Will probably go back sometime; but not often.
The landlady knew that Ley was also having a lot of specials to try and compete so after coming home for lunch we then headed back out to check out their specials.  We got some good deals on veggies such as large tomatoes for 5.45 pesos a kilo, roma tomatoes for 2.90 pesos a kilo and potatoes for 7.90 pesos a kilo, a head of lettuce was 6.50 pesos, onions were also cheap.  For the amounts that we use it is not that big a deal; but for the landlady it is as she purchases large amounts for the whole family.
We had fun shopping together and found that we buy many of the same products, the landlady and I are both into reading labels and buying fresh stuff over packaged, so when one of us found a bargain we made sure we told the other.
After our shopping was done we dropped her sister off and then we went over and visited with a good friend of hers that she needed to see.  After a nice visit we headed home.  I really enjoyed the day out with the girls, something I very seldom do.  Good fun and a real workout for my language non skills, a whole day with no English spoken.
Visited with the landlord for a bit in the evening and that was it for the day.
Today not too much on the day planner lol.  Tough job this being retired!
Have a good weekend.

13 comments:

Tim in Mesa said...

thanks for that, Brenda. appreciate seeing the prices.

Brenda Maas said...

Tim: thanks for taking time to read.

Chrissy y Keith said...

Sounds exciting to me. I too hate to pay for Membership. Costco is our only one and makes since for some of our large business purcahses. But once we move to Mexico we wont need it. In fact the last time I was in PV we went to Costco and the prices where way too high and there were only about a dozen cars in the parking lot.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Wow. Sam's Club and Walmart. I've never been to a Sam's Club and the first time I stepped inside a Walmart was in Mexico City! I bet Ley's is SCRAMBLING to compete. Competition is good and better price$ for you and Roy. Thanks for the info.

Theresa in Mèrida said...

We have a Costco card but view it as a luxury, because there is stuff we like only available there, or the price is so much better than elsewhere. So if we had to we would just cancel our membership.
I went into Sam's once but didn't see anything I couldn't get elsewhere. There's only one Costco but I think there are 2 or 3 Sam's in town.
I seldom go to Walmart, but they do have decent produce and prices now. They have so much competition here so it helps. I much prefer Mega if I am going to a grocery.
regards,
Theresa

GlorV1 said...

Hi Brenda. You are never boring, believe me, you rock! Sam's club, I haven't been to, but we do have one and actually it is a part of Walmart, I believe. Walmart, well that's my stomping grounds. I buy just about everything we need there, cept for meats, etc. Sounds like you had a great day. I'm glad you did. Have a great Sunday and all of next week. Take care. Nice post.

Brenda Maas said...

Chrissy&Keith: I have never had a Costco card either. As with Sams Club I went I looked I didn't buy lol. As I am sure you know the closest Costco is Hermosillo, none here.

Cynthia,etc: There are some other new stores here since you were here. The VH grocery stores went out of business and have been replaced by Santa Fe grocery stores, there are 2 AKA SI stores now which are somewhat like a dollar store and sometimes have things from up north. Then there is the Ley, 2 Sorianas and our old standby Issete. We are lucky that the Issste store is so close to us and has pretty good prices; although no fresh veggies there. They had a newspaper article up in their stores that showed the Profeco price comparison between Walmart and the Issste stores I think in Mexico City and the prices in Issste were lower on a lot of the products. Then there is also the MOY store where I like to buy some things also, and the other grocery store that is close to the Auditorium which is more of a warehouse type place where you can get things in bigger sizes if you want.

Theresa: we don't have a Mega store here and because of where WalMart is located from our place we probably won't go there often.

Gloria: Thank you. You have a good weekend too.

mrsjohn said...

thanks for that, Brenda. appreciate seeing the prices
flowers australia

Brenda Maas said...

Thank you both.

GlorV1 said...

Hi Brenda. Just popped in to say hello and I hope you had a great weekend. Hope all is okay with you and your and that you have a great week. Take care.

babbler said...

...But do they have anything that resembles a Trader Joes? I just happened to find your blog by accident, it fascinates me that you live in Mexico! Excellent!
Love,
Mrs. Slug

Brenda Maas said...

Babbler: no there is nothing like a Trader Joes store in our city.
Thanks for visiting.

Brenda Maas said...

Hi Tom. Thanks for stopping in. Hope to hear from you in the future.