Tuesday, June 03, 2008

What Are You Gonna Be When You Grow Up?

Last evening when I was heading downstairs to feed the dog I saw something on one of the lime tree leaves. It looked like bird poop but it was moving, it was a caterpillar. I have to say that this fellow was pretty homely (read ugly) as far as caterpillars go. I did a search online (I am not going to say what I typed into the search box) to see if I could find out something about him. I found out he is called an "Orange Dog" caterpillar and that he would "grow up" to be an Asian?? Swallowtail Butterfly. They eat the leaves of citrus trees, hence his presence on the lime tree. Apparently when the caterpillars are this age they have a "juvenile" hormone that makes them look like bird poop and protects them from becoming bird food. Once they get too big to pass for bird poo, they turn green and make like a leaf. Isn't nature amazing?





Below is a picture of an Asian Swallowtail Butterfly (swiped from the web); but I am not sure if it is this type of Swallowtail that the caterpiller turns into. We have never seen butterflies like that around here.
This type below, we have seen here. I don't know, but he will survive to turn into something I am sure, as nothing would eat anything that looks the way he does. Blech!

8 comments:

Islagringo said...

This guy, www.pureflorida.blogspot.com just did an interesting post about this caterpillar and butterfly in Florida! Great pictures. Go visit, especially if you like nature pics.

Beth said...

Wow! Although the little guy doesn't really look like much, those butterfly pictures you posted are gorgeous!!!

We have gone to the butterfly conservatory a couple of times in Niagara Falls, where thousands and thousands of butterflies fly free in this HUGE artificial habitat - it's very much like a rainforest in the middle of the city. The butterflies land on you and it's a great experience!

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks Wayne, I actually read his blog everyday; but had forgotten completely about that post. In case anyone else is interested the link to his article is here: http://pureflorida.blogspot.com/2008/04/giant-swallowtail-larvae.html
He says that it will turn into a Giant Swallowtail Butterfly.
Hi Beth, I love going into the butterfly houses at places like that, they are so beautiful, quiet and peaceful. It is interesting to stand quietly and watch them eat also.

Anonymous said...

Now that is amazing. Can you imagine going through part of your life trying to look like bird poop?

Steve Cotton said...

One thing I really enjoy about Mexico is the butterflies. But they frustrate me. I take pictures of bushes alive with butterflies, and the picture shows -- a bush. I always suspect that people who take pictures like those in your blog, steal a specimen out of a collection and tape it to a leaf. Snap. Perfect.

Anonymous said...

those butterflies are beautiful and the caterpillar definitely looks like bird poop. well, i guess that's better than ending up as bird prey.

have fun on your housesitting job in tucson. i am hoping to do some housesitting in guaymas next summer, hey, maybe i can stay at your place while you housesit elsewhere. i'm sure bliss could put in a good word for me. i'm the one who swam out to her boat in chacala and then she gave a presentation to my students and did a write up on my family's volunteer work there.

glad you were able to be such a big help to cyntia y miguel. i was really getting worried about them.

saludos,
teresahqihib

Brenda Maas said...

No, Heather I can't imagine living part of my life looking like bird poo. Even on my worst days I look better than that lol.
Steve, I always wonder how people get such good photos also, here they never seem to sit still long enough. I did get some good pictures of some a few years ago in a "butterfly house" at a botanical gardens, unfortunately that was before I went digital and I don't have those pictures on my computer.
Hi Teresa. I heard about your swim out to the boat in Chacala. I remember Andee mentioning you on her blog also. Good luck with your housesitting in San Carlos next summer, for some reason it seems not many people there use housesitters, not sure why; but there must be some.

Deb Hall ~ Zocalo de Mexican Folk Art said...

I love the butterflies in Mexico, and loved your photos. Great post!