Sunday, April 21, 2013

A Trip To The Emergency Room

I have to say that we have been very lucky health wise since we have come here.  We have never had a  health concern that going to a doctor at Farmacia Similares has not been able to help with.

  Roy has been feeling yucky off and on the last few days.  One day he is fine and then next day not so great.

Last night he was in a lot of pain, neither one of us thought that it was a heart attack; but he was in quite a bit of pain so he decided he needed to go to emergency at the hospital.  Roy has no health care here as he has never wanted to sign up for it.  We decided to go to the Hospital Pabellon Guadalupe and just in case I couldn't understand everything the doctor said we asked our landlady to go with us.  Our landlady does not speak English; but she and I communicate very well, we are both used to each others speech and if I don't understand one word she uses she will dumb it down.

We arrived at the hospital around 5 PM and were signed in and told to sit down, we barely got sat down and they called us into a examining room.  They asked some questions, told Roy to lay down on the bed.  He was having a lot of pain breathing so before checking too many things out they asked about allergies and immediately started an IV with pain medication in it.  Within 10 minutes he was comfortable enough to lay down and the Dr. checked him out more thoroughly.  He decided that Roy had Gastritis, that the parasite killer had not worked for him as it was bacteria born.  He continued to check on him and chat with our landlady and I until Roy was pain free.  He then wrote out a bunch of prescriptions and sent us on our way.

After heading to the drugstore and filling the prescriptions we were back at home.  Roy was feeling much better and pain free.  The whole trip took about an hour and a half.

This morning he is his normal self, I am happy to say.

We had never been to an emergency room here before; but after this experience I am comfortable with the fact that I could understand what was being said and with what was happening and if it happens again we will do it on our own.

Now for the nitty gritty, the costs.

To see the Dr. on a Saturday evening at emergency cost 300 pesos.

The hospital costs were 911.28 pesos  (cost of medication in the IV, materials, etc.)

So the total cost at the hospital was:  1211.28 pesos or approx. $ 101.63

Cost of the medications at the pharmacy was:  655.90 pesos or approx. $ 55.03  some of the meds. are for 5 days and some are for 10 days supply.

So the total cost in pesos was 1867.18 or approx. $ 156.66

All in all a good experience if going to the emergency room can be a good experience.  Happy with all the care and procedures that were done.  Doctor was in no rush and explained everything very well.  Nurses and Dr. were very good and we both felt very comfortable with the level of care.


15 comments:

Tancho said...

Glad to hear that he is feeling better. The older you get the less tolerant and brave one gets to seeing if the situation will pass. Affordable and efficient is pretty much the norm down here, unlike "affordable" health care NOB.
Going to the ER is never fun, but at least resolved the issue!

Steve Cotton said...

ood call. Good outcome.

And the price was right. My last trip to an American emergency room in January was $750 (US). With no resolution (or diagnosis) of the condition.

Brenda Maas said...

Tancho, yes good experience. This was not the IMSS hospital though; as he doesn't have the IMSS insurance we went to a less hectic hospital.

Steve, we were just wondering what it would have cost in the USA. I have no idea of what it would cost in Canada as we have never had to pay up front.

Babs said...

Last time I went to an ER in the states when my daughter thought I was having a heart attack - with all the tests etc. it was $3600US but, of course my insurance paid it all.

Here in SMA, the last time I was in the ER (i've been there 4 times for various things) and then in 2 instances as a patient, it was never more then $100US a day including the ER!

I don't have insurance other then medevac in case I'm on death's door otherwise, I'm fine here.

So glad Roy is better!

Brenda Maas said...

Babs, yes there is a huge difference between the costs in the 2 countries.
I am glad he is better also.

aj said...

I was at Alberta Children's Hospital about 1 month ago. Free of course but we waited 4 1/2 hours. Current wait times at Rockyview are between 5-10 hours in emerg. Glad Roy is feeling better.

Brenda Maas said...

aj,Thanks, those are crazy wait times. I think it would be more like that here at the IMSS hospital; but I am not sure having never been there.

Shannon said...

I'm so glad that it was nothing serious and that Roy is well.

I too have had a lot experience with the medical system here over the last 3 years since my accident. All the care has been extremely good. The doctors here actually care about their patients and spend as much time as necessary to make sure they know what is going on. I find it preferable to past experiences in Canada.

Brenda Maas said...

Shannon, I imagine that you could probably write a book about your experiences. Maybe that is a possibility, one of those self published books.

I think if he would have the IMSS insurance it would have been a whole different experience; but as I have never used mine, who knows. As it was it was excellent service.

diverdoug said...

Good to hear Roy is okay, I also have more faith in the doctors I've seen in Guaymas than the many I've seen in California. The Mexican doctors seem to have more patience and insight. Go Roy!

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks Diverdoug. The Drs. here seem to take the time to talk to you and never try to rush you out of the room. Nice.

When are you guys heading down here again?

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

Well, I missed this post and I am sure glad to hear Roy is doing all right! Linda and Bill

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks Linda. He is fine now.

Billie Mercer said...

Ahh, so glad for a happy ending.

But this situation is the one we all worry about....health care in Mexico. I think we can get good care in Mexico but for me, I'm fearful of being able to communicate in Spanish healthcare language.

Brenda Maas said...

Billie, I took our landlady with us. She doesn't speak any English; but she knows my level of Spanish and can then dumb things down enough for me to understand. That probably sounds crazy; but it works ha ha.
Another round of medical stuff yesterday and this morning. Went well again.
My worry is that if I get sick Roy would have to find someone who can speak English as his Spanish is almost non-existent.